RPG How To

Started by
5 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 11 years, 5 months ago
Hello,
So I have learned the basics and have been able to create a game window with Eclipse and Slick2D. Made a back ground with a .jpg and made a .png image to move around the screen with the keyboard. I want to start to make my RPG but how do I go about doing that? How do I make the map? How to do I make the levels and all that good stuff.
Advertisement
You can either build your own map editor, or use a pre-existing map editor. Tiled is one such editor.

Here's a few threads on the topic that I remember:
Sorry for the link-spam - If you have a more specific question, just ask!
I know about tiled but how do I use it? any tutorials?
Do you mean:
A) How do you use the Tiled editor to make and save a map?
Or
B) How do you use the maps Tiled creates in your own game?
both. how do i use the tiled and how do i use it in my game. im running eclipse and slick2d.
Slick2D comes with a whole package dedicated to Tiled. While I have not used it extensively and for quite a while, I remember browsing demo code for these classes within the Slick2D distribution.

how do i use the tiled

Well, it's fairly self-explanatory, have you tried using it yet to see what you already understand? Here are "tiled editor tutorials" on YouTube, which should help further. Is there a specific problem you need help with? I've never used Tiled, but every tile editor I have used has been very straightforward. What, specifically, are you needing help with? Saying, "I need help" isn't that great. Saying, "I need help trying to do X, and I've already tried Y but got the wrong results" makes it much easier for us to help you, because then we know what you've already tried, and what you are trying to do. smile.png

and how do i use it in my game. im running eclipse and slick2d.[/quote]
Tools produce files, and you write code in your game that loads files - file formats are sometimes complex and sometimes simple. Rather than bloat programming languages with details on how to load every kind of file someone once created, programming languages instead provide you with the tools that open a file, and read the data, and the programmer has to interpret the data and figure out how to use it. Sometimes, like for image files, a programming language has built-in support for those. Other times, you either have to glue it together yourself, or find someone else online who has already glued it together for you.

Luckily, in this case, BitMaster helpfully pointed to where someone else has glued it together. Even so, you'll still have to read the documentation, and figure out how to plug it into your code (which is unique from everyone else's). We can help point you in the right direction (which we've done), and after you go in that direction and try, we can help explain what you are doing wrong - but we can't explain "everything", just specific detailed questions you ask about specific problems you encounter. Otherwise, all we can do is say to read tutorials and documentation, and to experiment and try. mellow.png

Sorry if that seems rude! Programming takes work. It's fun, but it takes work, and others can't do your part for you. We can most certainly help you succeed at doing your part, but we can't do your part. You can help us help you do your part by being as detailed as possible in describing what you want to do, what you've already tried, and what result you are getting from your prior attempts. smile.png

tldr: Go ahead and see what you can figure out on your own. And for the parts you can't figure out, be very detailed in your questions and explain what you've already tried.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement