Battle Card Game Idea

Started by
4 comments, last by sonicarrow 11 years, 5 months ago
This is a video game idea that a few others and I trying to develop. There are a number of heroes to select from and each of them carries a

unique skill-set that gives them their own role on the battlefield (similar to MOBAS). From a deck of heroes, each player would select a only a

team of four.

From there they would place each card on a specific position. The layout of the field is comprised of four positions: one at the frontlines that

provides no attributes or changes to the card, one that is place a bit further back than the first and gives the card 15% damage taken

reduction from all sources. The last two are placed at the very back and provides the card that is placed on it a 30% damage taken reduction

and also a 30% damage dealt reduction.

At the beginning of a turn, the player receives a certain amount of points that can be used to cast abilities. Certain hero abilities cost more

than others. The player can also choose to skip his or her turn and pool the points for the next turn. Item cards are randomly drawn by

each player, one per turn. These can be used to increase the damage of an ability for one or more turns before it expires. There are also item

cards that can be used defensively such as blocking all damage for one hero on the next turn. Item cards would remain hidden to the

opponent.

In terms of progression, the player can level up the heroes they play and choose from a tier list of bonus effects on their hero's abilities.

The game could be played solo 1v1, 2v2 with each player being in charge of 2 cards, or 4v4, each player being in charge of one card.

What would make someone want to play this game or what would make someone not want to play this game?
Advertisement

This is a video game idea that a few others and I trying to develop.

• There are a number of heroes to select from and each of them carries a unique skill-set that gives them their own role on the battlefield (similar to MOBAS).
  • From a deck of heroes, each player would select a only a team of four.
  • From there they would place each card on a specific position. The layout of the field is comprised of four positions: one at the frontlines that provides no attributes or changes to the card, one that is place a bit further back than the first and gives the card 15% damage taken reduction from all sources. The last two are placed at the very back and provides the card that is placed on it a 30% damage taken reduction and also a 30% damage dealt reduction.
  • At the beginning of a turn, the player receives a certain amount of points that can be used to cast abilities. Certain hero abilities cost more than others.
  • The player can also choose to skip his or her turn and pool the points for the next turn.
  • Item cards are randomly drawn by each player, one per turn. These can be used to increase the damage of an ability for one or more turns before it expires.
  • There are also item cards that can be used defensively such as blocking all damage for one hero on the next turn. Item cards would remain hidden to the opponent.
  • In terms of progression, the player can level up the heroes they play and choose from a tier list of bonus effects on their hero's abilities.
  • The game could be played solo 1v1, 2v2 with each player being in charge of 2 cards, or 4v4, each player being in charge of one card.

What would make someone want to play this game or what would make someone not want to play this game?
It sounds straightforward enough that you could prototype it in Python pretty quickly.
I think the frontline should receive defensive buffs instead, since I'm guessing they're more susceptible towards being the target of an attack; while the unit cards behind are using the front cards as a meat-shield. No? I think this would add a nice risk/reward element to the balance so you could potentially add a low-defense/high-attack unit upfront for an aggressive strategy, and alternatively put a low-attack/high-defense unit up front for a more conservative strategy.

I guess this would rely on how you plan to implement the range on attacks.

Some points that would prevent players from sticking around:

• Poor Balance
  • Poor Artwork
  • Pay-to-win
Have you played Ogre Battle (videogame) series before ?
You can learn something nice from it.
Side track, you could take a look at pixel tactics too. It is a board game with a very unique game play and I like it a lot, except that no one would play with me due to the complexity of the game.

http://www.lvl99games.com/?page_id=1461

Check out my blog at zwodahs.github.io and zwodahs.itch.io/

Definitely sounds like a good idea - Because the concept is easy/simple enough, make sure you go wild with your creativity. Come up with a wide range of heroes to broaden the range of combinations players can pick, and an even bigger range of items, buffs, powerups, etc. That's the kind of stuff that makes dynamic gameplay.

In addition, i think you could probably make a game mode of 2v2 where each player controls 4 cards, with 8 on the field total - could be FFA or Team based - play around with it and see what works.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement