Lucas Arts sold to Disney for $4 billion?!

Started by
54 comments, last by Anri 11 years, 5 months ago
Disney buys LucasArts in surprise $4 billion deal

That caught me by surprise. George Lucas basically cached out on everything, which is interesting - I'd expect someone who already has alot of money to continue to want to be involved with the company. I wonder what he'll do with his $4 billion (well, $2 billion in cash, the rest in Disney stock).

Now Disney owns both Pixar and Industrial Light and Magic, giving them a very nice group of computer graphics experts and technology. (Pixar originally spun off of LucasFilms as well).

A new Star Wars trilogy is now being worked on. Microsoft working on a new Halo trilogy (after Bungie's 5 Halo games) should cooperate with Disney's new StarWars trilogy (after LucasFilm's 6 StarWars movies) to tie the two franchises together. laugh.png
Advertisement
Star Wars Episode VII: Just Ewoks

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

It's better off without Lucas.

It's better off without Lucas.

I kind of think this too, but I think it could have been even better off elsewhere.

The thing that I'm worried about is that Pixar and ILM start to intermingle to the point where they both lose their individual personalities. I would like them to share knowledge, but I would not like them to slowly become the same entity.

Disney buys LucasArts in surprise $4 billion deal

That caught me by surprise. George Lucas basically cached out on everything, which is interesting - I'd expect someone who already has alot of money to continue to want to be involved with the company. I wonder what he'll do with his $4 billion (well, $2 billion in cash, the rest in Disney stock).

Now Disney owns both Pixar and Industrial Light and Magic, giving them a very nice group of computer graphics experts and technology. (Pixar originally spun off of LucasFilms as well).

A new Star Wars trilogy is now being worked on. Microsoft working on a new Halo trilogy (after Bungie's 5 Halo games) should cooperate with Disney's new StarWars trilogy (after LucasFilm's 6 StarWars movies) to tie the two franchises together. laugh.png

Sith vs. Spartan?

also, as i understood it, lucas is staying on as a creative consular or something like that.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Unless his input is contractually bound to be implemented, I'm sure they're going to do their best to ignore the shit out of him. I'm sure they have infinitely better in-house talent.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

The Avenger gets a Jedi!!! ZOMG
My friend on facebook wrote: "Princess Leia is now a DISNEY PRINCESS!"

I hated the prequels, I loved Avengers, and thanks to this, I'll be in line for Heir to the Empire or whichever when it comes out. Now that Disney owns Muppets, Marvel and Star Wars, they might as well just buy Nintendo and Ninja Turtles and claim all the rights to my childhood...

ADDENDUM: A PLEA TO DISNEY!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE RET-CON MIDICHLORIANS OUT OF THE STORY. THANK YOU.

ADDENDUM: A PLEA TO DISNEY!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE RET-CON MIDICHLORIANS OUT OF THE STORY. THANK YOU.

why?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

[quote name='Heath' timestamp='1351658185' post='4995693']

why?
[/quote]Urban Dictionary: 1. Midichlorian
Word imagined by George Lucas to totaly fuck-up The misticism surrounding the force in Star Wars[/quote]The force was never explained, but then in the new (bad) trilogy where Lucas screwed up everything (and demonstrated that he fluked the brilliance of the original trilogy due to the talent surrounding him at the time), he decided to explain exactly what the force is, turning it into science rather than theology.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement