Lucas Arts sold to Disney for $4 billion?!

Started by
54 comments, last by Anri 11 years, 5 months ago

[quote name='Heath' timestamp='1351658185' post='4995693']
ADDENDUM: A PLEA TO DISNEY!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE RET-CON MIDICHLORIANS OUT OF THE STORY. THANK YOU.

why?
[/quote]Lucas kept revealing what a lot of things looked like. The snow monster in Empire Strikes Back was scarier when you didn't see him. Truth be told, anything is scarier when you don't know what it is. The force was like that too. It was a mystery that didn't need to be explained, and a lot of things could be told about it from there. But, Lucas went and showed that too, and he did it in the worst way. Suddenly, it's not that you're stronger with the force for any personal meditation, you're stronger just because you have all this bacteria in your body, and more than the other guy does.
Advertisement
Not really sure what to think of this, not been a fan of Lucas since he started messing with the original trilogy, but then Disney manage to mess up franchises too (Tron Legacy). However my new hope is that Disney re-release the original trilogy without the awful changes on blu-ray as I'd buy them in an instant. I have been so tempted to buy the blu-rays, but since Lucas released the original dvd's a few years after the directors cuts i've been holding off.
<br />However my new hope is that Disney re-release the original trilogy without the awful changes on blu-ray as I'd buy them in an instant.<br />
Sweet jesus, yes.

Lucasfilm claimed the original prints are no more, that they'd deteriorated and had to be destroyed. Having never believed this, hopefully someone pulls out the file and says "Oh, here ya go!" and we get the original, pre-Special Edition Star Wars greatness.

[quote name='slicer4ever' timestamp='1351659767' post='4995699']
ADDENDUM: A PLEA TO DISNEY!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE RET-CON MIDICHLORIANS OUT OF THE STORY. THANK YOU.

why?
[/quote]Urban Dictionary: 1. Midichlorian
Word imagined by George Lucas to totaly fuck-up The misticism surrounding the force in Star Wars[/quote]The force was never explained, but then in the new (bad) trilogy where Lucas screwed up everything (and demonstrated that he fluked the brilliance of the original trilogy due to the talent surrounding him at the time), he decided to explain exactly what the force is, turning it into science rather than theology.
[/quote]
the force is never actually explained how it works, only the underlying bacteria which allow it to function; are barely talked about, and to be fair, much of the star wars universe is rooted in reality(the only spiritual component's were the after images of the jedi, which only luke could see(someone correct me if i'm forgetting another instance)), so i don't see why it's not feasible that the force is no different then photons.

[quote name='slicer4ever' timestamp='1351659767' post='4995699']

why?
[/quote]Lucas kept revealing what a lot of things looked like. The snow monster in Empire Strikes Back was scarier when you didn't see him. Truth be told, anything is scarier when you don't know what it is. The force was like that too. It was a mystery that didn't need to be explained, and a lot of things could be told about it from there. But, Lucas went and showed that too, and he did it in the worst way. Suddenly, it's not that you're stronger with the force for any personal meditation, you're stronger just because you have all this bacteria in your body, and more than the other guy does.
[/quote]
i never really thought of the snow creature as scary, it was suppose to be threatening, but the environment that Luke is in doesn't really scream "this is suppose to be scary!!!". as for the force, it's clearly shown having more midichlorians doesn't make you better/stronger, much of what the second trilogy show's is the rise of Anakin, which still took years of dedication/training, and in the end, he still wasn't able to beat obi-wan(at least within the second trilogy's time frame), don't get me wrong, obviously having more midichlorians means that the person is more force sensitive, and is able to pickup things easier, but it doesn't automatically make you better, it just gives you a greater opportunity of doing better.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
@slicer4ever: How dare you contradict my hatred. :P You make a good point, but I think it harmed the story. If not that, it was just one more thing in Phantom Menace that ruined it, as if we didn't have enough Jar Jar, stale acting, a boring story involving taxes or something, and extravagant costume changes by certain royalty. There was so much in that movie that just slapped you in the face after years of waiting for it, and all of these things - including midichlorians - could've just not happened.

@slicer4ever: How dare you contradict my hatred. tongue.png You make a good point, but I think it harmed the story. If not that, it was just one more thing in Phantom Menace that ruined it, as if we didn't have enough Jar Jar, stale acting, a boring story involving taxes or something, and extravagant costume changes by certain royalty. There was so much in that movie that just slapped you in the face after years of waiting for it, and all of these things - including midichlorians - could've just not happened.

up to a year ago, i would have agreed with you to a certain extent, but with the recent theatrical run of phantom menace, it allowed me to sit down, and actually realize some points to the overall plot line that i never realized before(mostly from being too young to really understand when phantom menace came out). In my opinion the story wasn't even hard to follow(perhaps when phantom originally came out, it may have been confusing), but with the entire trilogy done, it's easy to follow what happens in phantom menace, I don't see where a boring story is coming from, no one ever mentioned taxes, in the opening scenes, it's shown that the trade federation is only blocking/attacking naboo because of palpatine is paying them to do so, to which he uses as an opportunity to get into a seat of power for when he begins to play the separatists/republic against each other. other than that, the story pretty straight forward, princess is cast out from her kingdom, princess finds the help of a couple of knights, and she comes back and retake's her throne.

I don't see what else you want, it's mentioned in the original trilogy that the clone wars were a pretty big deal, and i think the second trilogy managed to work it all in pretty decently. the hardest part was selling anakin as a fallen jedi, and for most of the trilogy, your pretty much rooting for him, up until mace windu's death it felt like anakin could be saved, and if it weren't for the fact that we know anakin becomes the sith lord, he might have.

In the end, that's the hardest part with the second trilogy, in my opinion, we know what happens, no matter how hard we want to root for people, we know things are going to go down, we know the jedi lose, and we know that anakin falls to the dark side, we know that padme dies, and the luke/leia are split up, it's just that the trilogy decided to wait until the last half of the third movie to sell us all these facts.

edit: also, yes, jar-jar completely unnecessary, and it's obvious they tried to remove him asap after the first movie.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
I want a better movie than that, one that doesn't require looking past so many glaring issues with actors, characters, settings, effects, and general suspension of disbelief. All of those things you brought up are great, but they could've been told in a more interesting way, as almost every other movie in the genre has shown. Empire was great. Jedi was great. The books and games offer an enormous glut of interesting material to work with. And given the success of Avengers, Star Wars could be on the right track for this now.

Finally.
I sincerely didn't expect this.

Previously "Krohm"

and for most of the trilogy, your pretty much rooting for him

And he's supposed to be how old at this point? There was a huge opportunity to show actual character development in that episode. Give the viewer a reason to empathize with Anakin. You know, like have something bad actually happen to him which could in some way justify his descent into darkness! Instead we get:

"He's overly critical. He never listens. He doesn't understand. It's not fair."

And he goes from watching Windu die to killing innocent children in the blink of an eye. All because somehow in this incredibly high tech setting they somehow can't save a mother during childbirth?

Compare this to Magneto in X-Men First Class. He's likable! I can empathize with his situation, and if I were in his shoes, I may have gone the same direction.

"I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again."
Since we are off now, my opinion can be summed up with this:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement