Lucas Arts sold to Disney for $4 billion?!

Started by
54 comments, last by Anri 11 years, 5 months ago

But that's avoiding the point. It still totally stomps on a large piece of mythology by replacing a huge part of it with science. That would be great if Star Wars were real life, but in Fiction, especially fantasy fiction, it's better to leave questions.

It also opens up a lot of possibilities which probably weren't thought through. If they are just bacteria in the body, why not harvest them and put them into new people? Why not grow cultures of them and build a clone army of Jedi? Why not design a virus which kills off midichlorians?
Advertisement
I think this is fine. Disney bought Marvel a little while back, and that proved to work out well, seems whomever is in charge of Disney these days knows his stuff.
First the bought Pixar back, then Marvel, giving them marvel studios and the Avengers.

Lets not forget that Disneys Television Channel ABC have doing pretty damn well as well these past few years.

Trust the mouse.

-Exo
Well, and Pirates of the Carribean and Tron: Legacy were Disney, too. I think realistically Disney has shown that they can create pretty decent content that's not kid-specific, and it'll be nice to see Star Wars films created without being micromanaged to death by Lucas.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

I greatly enjoyed the Iron Man series of movies, and The Avengers was also good.

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1351653093' post='4995674']
Disney buys LucasArts in surprise $4 billion deal

That caught me by surprise. George Lucas basically cached out on everything, which is interesting - I'd expect someone who already has alot of money to continue to want to be involved with the company. I wonder what he'll do with his $4 billion (well, $2 billion in cash, the rest in Disney stock).

It's not entirely true, that George doesn't have anything to do with it any more. He is now the Creative Assistant Consultant, which basically means that if Disney doesn't know what to do with SW7, they come to him.[/quote]
Yes, he's creative consultant, but there's a huge difference between "Whatever I say goes" to "I can give my opinion when you ask for it, but you can choose to discard it". By continuing to be involved with the company (not StarWars in particular), I'd personally be sick of working on StarWars as George Lucas has acknowledged, complaing "It basically takes me 9 years to make each trilogy". However, if I had such a huge company, and wasn't hurting for money, I'd use it to work on whatever interests me, even if I was bored of one particular franchise or another. If I was bored of running the company, I'd have someone else run it for me, but still have control that I could work on whatever interests me with all the resources of LucasFilms at my back. Just my opinion!

[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1351672059' post='4995747']
Since we are off now, my opinion can be summed up with this:

I watched the first part(seriously 60-70 minutes to do an entire review of one movie?!), i don't want to sit and watch all 7 parts.
he makes some valid points, but I believe he's looking for some single lead character, that formulates with what he expects to be the [/quote]You should, that 70m review is better than watching the movie itself.

[quote name='slicer4ever' timestamp='1351706516' post='4995901']
[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1351672059' post='4995747']
Since we are off now, my opinion can be summed up with this:

I watched the first part(seriously 60-70 minutes to do an entire review of one movie?!), i don't want to sit and watch all 7 parts.
he makes some valid points, but I believe he's looking for some single lead character, that formulates with what he expects to be the [/quote]You should, that 70m review is better than watching the movie itself.
[/quote]

since it's getting high praise here, i'll sit down this weekend and give it a watch then.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Here I am excited for a new Star Wars movie. Personally loved all of them, and I've seen that review video that was linked. Was starting to get worried that Lucas would just sit on them and never do anything more with such a huge universe he created. Hoping they create new ones every few years.

That said ITT:
mTUUR.png

His most emotional moment was a 2 letter word being shout from a full body suit/mask with his voice being modulated; that is a very low bar to beat in 2 movies.

That wasn't Hayden Christiansen, it was James Earl Jones. James Earl Jones is an excellent actor, and even he came off sounding ridiculous due to Lucas's script and direction.

That said, Christiansen hasn't exactly done anything else memorable.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

That wasn't Hayden Christiansen, it was James Earl Jones. James Earl Jones is an excellent actor, and even he came off sounding ridiculous due to Lucas's script and direction.

That said, Christiansen hasn't exactly done anything else memorable.

Well now I feel vindicated for my dislike in him. :P
Didn't Christensen sue the USA network (cable channel) over production of Royal Pains, allegedly having pitched a similar show with his brother?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement