Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Servant of the Lord

Lucas Arts sold to Disney for $4 billion?!

55 posts in this topic

[quote name='slicer4ever' timestamp='1351706516' post='4995901']
I watched the first part(seriously 60-70 minutes to do an entire review of one movie?!), i don't want to sit and watch all 7 parts.
he makes some valid points, but I believe he's looking for some single lead character, that formulates with what he expects to be the hero's journey, when it's clear that their are several of them.[/quote]

That's a shame, its well worth finding the time to watch as in my opinion it is one of the most insightful film critique's I've ever seen. It analyses covers many points, only the first part is on the characters and has the benefit of some added humour, though somewhat of a dark nature ;)

He isn't looking for a hero journey's, he just mentions that its one of the more popular and easier to write story's, whilst at the same time being more accessible for an audience. The problem isn't that there isn't a hero and I would disagree with your point that there are several of them, I don't think there were any, but that in addition none of the characters were memorable or well written. Certainly nothing like as memorable as those in the original trilogy, even if they do come down to rather stereotypical archetypes.

Regardless my point in replying isn't to argue the point, but to recommend watching the entire review if you can find the time. You may not agree with all that is said, but its should still be interesting and worthwhile. Edited by noisecrime

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1351691730' post='4995821']
I am curious how much of that is due to Hayden Christenson being a terrible actor.[/quote]

I'm wondering if he's as bad as he seems in that movie. George Lucas made Ewan McGreggor a terrible actor in that movie, and he's normally much, much better than that. And Natalie Portman, while not great, is usually better than she was in those movies as well. Edited by tstrimple

I still don't see the problem with midichlorians, they don't actually explain the force, they just explain why certain people are selected for training, that's all they did.
[/quote]

Jedis could do midichlorians transfusions and train huge armies, no need for clone warriors. Or non-Jedi/Sith could create a virus to destroy midichlorians. That simple concept made the force a very weak element.

I think that a lot of the problem is how great the originals were. They were iconic, they blasted an exciting new setting and dramatic, exciting characters into pop culture. Star Wars had such a huge and permeating effect on science fiction stories over the last 40 years that it's more or less impossible for any subsequent movies to even approach that stature. Even without the elements of the second trilogy that people disliked, does anyone really believe that they could have been more than pale imitations of the originals?

Not that I'm defending the second trilogy; I think that it had serious problems with dialogue, pacing, acting, characters, overall plot, and more besides. I found they needed an awful lot of indulgence from me to keep going, more than I ended up being willing to supply. The franchise has been milked for cash too cheaply and too often for the actual feature films to get a lot of slack.

[quote name='tstrimple' timestamp='1351715671' post='4995934']
I'm wondering if he's as bad as he seems in that movie. George Lucas made Ewan McGreggor a terrible actor in that movie, and he's normally much, much better than that. And Natalie Portman, while not great, is usually better than she was in those movies as well.
[/quote]
I thought Ewan and Natalie were good through the first 2 movies. The third movie everyone was pretty terrible, but Hayden Christensen was just so totally and consistently flat. His most emotional moment was a 2 letter word being shout from a full body suit/mask with his voice being modulated; that is a very low bar to beat in 2 movies. A bunch of people think kid anakin and jarjar ruined 1-3, but Hayden did it a much larger disservice imo.

[quote]I still don't see the problem with midichlorians, they don't actually explain the force, they just explain why certain people are selected for training, that's all they did.[/quote]
But that's avoiding the point. It still totally stomps on a large piece of mythology by replacing a huge part of it with science. That would be great if Star Wars were real life, but in Fiction, especially fantasy fiction, it's better to leave questions.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1351723391' post='4995973']
But that's avoiding the point. It still totally stomps on a large piece of mythology by replacing a huge part of it with science. That would be great if Star Wars were real life, but in Fiction, especially fantasy fiction, it's better to leave questions.
[/quote]

It also opens up a lot of possibilities which probably weren't thought through. If they are just bacteria in the body, why not harvest them and put them into new people? Why not grow cultures of them and build a clone army of Jedi? Why not design a virus which kills off midichlorians?

I think this is fine. Disney bought Marvel a little while back, and that proved to work out well, seems whomever is in charge of Disney these days knows his stuff.
First the bought Pixar back, then Marvel, giving them marvel studios and the Avengers.

Lets not forget that Disneys Television Channel ABC have doing pretty damn well as well these past few years.

Trust the mouse.

-Exo

Well, and Pirates of the Carribean and Tron: Legacy were Disney, too. I think realistically Disney has shown that they can create pretty decent content that's not kid-specific, and it'll be nice to see Star Wars films created without being micromanaged to death by Lucas.

I greatly enjoyed the Iron Man series of movies, and The Avengers was also good.

[quote name='Dynamic Realities' timestamp='1351701273' post='4995866']
[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1351653093' post='4995674']
[url="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180507/Breaking_Disney_buys_LucasArts.php#.UJCSx2_A9oI"]Disney buys LucasArts in surprise $4 billion deal[/url]

That caught me by surprise. George Lucas basically cached out on everything, which is interesting - I'd expect someone who already has alot of money to continue to want to be involved with the company. I wonder what he'll do with his $4 billion (well, $2 billion in cash, the rest in Disney stock).[/quote]

It's not entirely true, that George doesn't have anything to do with it any more. He is now the Creative Assistant Consultant, which basically means that if Disney doesn't know what to do with SW7, they come to him.[/quote]
Yes, he's creative consultant, but there's a huge difference between "[i]Whatever I say goes[/i]" to "[i]I can give my opinion when you ask for it, but you can choose to discard it[/i]". By continuing to be involved with the company (not StarWars in particular), I'd personally be sick of working on StarWars as George Lucas has acknowledged, complaing "[i]It basically takes me 9 years to make each trilogy[/i]". However, if I had such a huge company, and wasn't hurting for money, I'd use it to work on whatever interests me, even if I was bored of one particular franchise or another. If I was bored of running the company, I'd have someone else run it for me, but still have control that I could work on whatever interests me with all the resources of LucasFilms at my back. Just my opinion!

[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1351672059' post='4995747']
Since we are off now, my opinion can be summed up with this:
[/quote]
I watched the first part(seriously 60-70 minutes to do an entire review of one movie?!), i don't want to sit and watch all 7 parts.
he makes some valid points, but I believe he's looking for some single lead character, that formulates with what he expects to be the [/quote]You should, that 70m review is better than watching the movie itself.

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1351729235' post='4996006']
[/quote]
he makes some valid points, but I believe he's looking for some single lead character, that formulates with what he expects to be the [/quote]You should, that 70m review is better than watching the movie itself.
[/quote]

since it's getting high praise here, i'll sit down this weekend and give it a watch then.

Here I am excited for a new Star Wars movie. Personally loved all of them, and I've seen that review video that was linked. Was starting to get worried that Lucas would just sit on them and never do anything more with such a huge universe he created. Hoping they create new ones every few years.

That said ITT:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/mTUUR.png[/img] Edited by Sirisian

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1351723391' post='4995973']
His most emotional moment was a 2 letter word being shout from a full body suit/mask with his voice being modulated; that is a very low bar to beat in 2 movies. [/quote]

That wasn't Hayden Christiansen, it was James Earl Jones. James Earl Jones is an excellent actor, and even he came off sounding ridiculous due to Lucas's script and direction.

That said, Christiansen hasn't exactly done anything else memorable.

[quote name='ChaosEngine' timestamp='1351736664' post='4996047']
That wasn't Hayden Christiansen, it was James Earl Jones. James Earl Jones is an excellent actor, and even he came off sounding ridiculous due to Lucas's script and direction.

That said, Christiansen hasn't exactly done anything else memorable.
[/quote]

Well now I feel vindicated for my dislike in him. :P

Didn't Christensen sue the USA network (cable channel) over production of Royal Pains, allegedly having pitched a similar show with his brother?

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1351729235' post='4996006']
[/quote]
[/quote]I spent all last night and plowed through all of Plinkett's prequel reviews, just thinking to myself, "Did Strongbad have a stroke and start reviewing movies on Youtube or something?" The guy's awesome!

[url="http://collider.com/george-lucas-lucasfilm-sale-charity/207790/"]Lucas is donating the majority of the 4 Bill to charity.[/url]

This is looking more and more like a win win.

-Exo

Leave it to Disney to turn a gruesome stormtrooper-rebel battlefront into a G-rated kids adventure.

[quote name='MrJoshL' timestamp='1351766315' post='4996138']
Leave it to Disney to turn a gruesome stormtrooper-rebel battlefront into a G-rated kids adventure.
[/quote]I thought Lucas already did that with the modern kids adventure trilogy? [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png[/img]

Where was this gruesome stormtrooper-rebel battlefront in the original? You mean with the ewoks? Or the AT-ATs on Hoth? Or the Deathstar?

Cryin' out loud, it's not like Disney is against doing stuff that's not for kids, or that Star Wars has ever been like Saving Private Ryan. Edited by Heath

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1351768699' post='4996148']
[quote name='MrJoshL' timestamp='1351766315' post='4996138']
[/quote]I thought Lucas already did that with the modern kids adventure trilogy? [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png[/img]
[/quote]
My favorite part was when Anakin took a break from turning to the dark side to play with some kids. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.png[/img]

[quote name='Exodus111' timestamp='1351760254' post='4996118']
[url="http://collider.com/george-lucas-lucasfilm-sale-charity/207790/"]Lucas is donating the majority of the 4 Bill to charity.[/url]
[/quote]

He can't buy our forgiveness for the prequels!

[quote name='Sirisian' timestamp='1351831570' post='4996427']
My favorite part was when Anakin took a break from turning to the dark side to play with some kids. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.png[/img]
[/quote]
For some reason this reminded me of the "Meet the pyro" short for tf2.

[quote name='Heath' timestamp='1351872107' post='4996571']
Wait... What if Zack Efron is cast as Luke?
[/quote]
Don't even joke about that. If that happens, James Holmes may return (too soon?).