Npc Interaction

Started by
5 comments, last by Nibbles 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I''ve been working pretty steady on an RPG type of game which will include a lot of NPC interation. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some easy to manage ways of handling text communications for quests and such. Thanks, Scott Email Website
"If you try and don''t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
Advertisement
it depends on how interactive you want it to be... if you just want the NPCs to say something (as in Final Fantasy and such) that is simple; or you could make conversation trees, so the player can pick responses to what the NPC says, and so on... this is more interactive, but still fairly scripted...
the only way to get really good conversations (in my opinion) would be a natural language type thing, where the player types something and the NPC responds... even the best of these would still be pretty far from a real conversation, but if done properly it can give the illusion of a real conversation...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Consider using a directed graph representing predicate caluclus statements reduced to clause normal form which is then divided into subgraphs via a min vertex separator algorithm. The resulting set of subgraphs, which as a cohesive whole are a set of axioms representing common sense knowledge can then be used in a resolution based system for reasoning and planning, which subsume the backbone of conversation and NLP.
HAHAHAHA....sorry...that was funny...=)
ok, i get what your saying, except for NLP... what does that mean?

Scott

Email
Website

NLP = natural language parsing.
ah, yes of course.

thank you,
Scott

Email
Website

This topic is closed to new replies.