Time to write rendering engine from scratch

Started by
24 comments, last by L. Spiro 11 years, 5 months ago
I'm not sure how "It's been a while since I wrote (a rendering engine) from the ground up" was interpreted as "it's been a while since I programmed graphics (in any capacity)", or who wouldn't take "you sound rusty and unsure of yourself" as less than insulting, but I appreciate the advice. Thanks everyone.
Advertisement
If you have coded in OpenGL every day for the past 15 years, why are you coming to an internet forum to ask strangers how long it would it would take you to complete a task involving OpenGL? That doesn't make any sense.
Because I was just tasked with writing a rendering engine from scratch I wanted to get a consensus on what people who have written rendering engines more recently thought.

In the end I decided to whittle down my own code since it works perfectly (and recompiles in 6 seconds to all you A-holes who write programs that take 2 hours to compile (see Electronic Arts).

But man, I forgot what a bunch of d*uche b*gs are on this site. Members here (what an appropriate term) pride themselves on their blog rating here and you'll never find a site more likely to neg you for one post that doesn't stroke their ego. Try saying you don't like Goto for example - they'll neg you all the way to negative 1000.

But try asking an advanced question about parametric surfaces and you'll get crickets.

Most of the people here with high ratings don't actually have computer science jobs (or formal experience) which is why they have so much time (and why they are so bitter).

Worse, they provide best-case scenario estimates - an enormous disservice to themselves, coworkers and the industry. A wise man once said "The more I know the less I understand" - and members here understand everything.

If you've worked in the industry you know you'll never find smarter people who are willing to do exactly what they are told (by their boss, the FDA and the TSA) - Developers in a crisis will (according to Meyer Briggs) "go with what the group does".

Oh well, I'd rather be making $90 an hour programming OpenGL for my own business than to have a high db rating, but if you make less be sure to neg me.

Anytime you do something worthwhile you're going to offend someone.
Whoa whoa whoa

If...
If...
If...
If you are generally unsure of yourself (and it sounds as though you are), I would say you should give yourself no less than a month, maybe up to 2.

Because of the wide range of skills and experiences, I am not sure how helpful any of our answers would be.

1) I don't believe LS was tearing you down or diminishing your character. And I'm pretty sure the way you reacted to LS and similar answers set this thread downhill. Clarification on your part probably would have went a long way.
2) Plenty of people here don't like goto (unless absolutely positively necessary, which it usually isn't).
3) I don't believe you can get a negative rating - perhaps I am wrong about that one though.

Please try to reconsider your perspective on all this - it's not what you think it is.

3) I don't believe you can get a negative rating - perhaps I am wrong about that one though.

No you actually can. Lowest I've seen so far is -350 or so. Not that ratings matter that much anyway. I've come to the conclusion that the thread creator is a troll, and you know what they say about trolls.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Members here (what an appropriate term) pride themselves on their blog rating here and you'll never find a site more likely to neg you for one post that doesn't stroke their ego. Try saying you don't like Goto for example - they'll neg you all the way to negative 1000.

That’s funny, because among all of your down-votes, none of them came from me. You probably down-voted me twice, but I haven’t touched your rating at all, despite being the main target of all of your attacks.

But man, I forgot what a bunch of d*uche b*gs are on this site.

No Dutch bugs here. I think.

My perfectly working code compiles in 6 seconds; anyone’s whose doesn’t is an asshole.
I make money bags and have my own business; anyone who makes less is an angry negger.
My work is worthwhile.
I wwebsite as on the internet.

You are obviously trying to attack back, but back from what? My answer was intended to be as helpful as possible with what little information you gave. Why are you the only one who can’t see this? My guess is every time you read your first post you subconsciously add bits of information. “It’s been a while since I wrote one from the ground up (but I have programmed with OpenGL for 15 years).”
We don’t have all that extra information; we have only what is in the post.

Based on what you posted, it could literally be a few days’ worth of work, as others have agreed. That doesn’t mean anyone is stroking any ego.
If you think it should take longer, why don’t you post any extra requirements you may have left out of your previous posts? If animation is necessary, that will definitely take more than a few days.

Most of the people here with high ratings don't actually have computer science jobs (or formal experience) which is why they have so much time (and why they are so bitter).

Worse, they provide best-case scenario estimates - an enormous disservice to themselves, coworkers and the industry. A wise man once said "The more I know the less I understand" - and members here understand everything.

If you've worked in the industry you know you'll never find smarter people who are willing to do exactly what they are told (by their boss, the FDA and the TSA) - Developers in a crisis will (according to Meyer Briggs) "go with what the group does".

Oh well, I'd rather be making $90 an hour programming OpenGL for my own business than to have a high db rating, but if you make less be sure to neg me.

By this point I have every right to put you in your place, but out of respect for this site and in an attempt to keep as many posts on this site as professional as possible I will just very politely explain this.
Looking at the top-members list I can confirm a lot of us do have industry jobs, and almost all of the rest I believe (but can’t confirm) do. Only a few (maybe 3?) I know to be hobbyists.
I myself actually have 2 jobs: I act on Japanese TV and in Japanese movies regularly and the rest of the time I make video games for a major studio in Japan.

As I said in my first post, there is a vast range of skills and experiences on this site, so it is an extremely bad idea to bring an inferiority complex here if you are asking for help. Inferiority complexes make you see legitimate answers as personal attacks.

We don’t care what your salary is nor how fast your code compiles.
We care about attitude. Fix yours or leave.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I can only second L Spiro here.

You ask a question, which it must be assumed was well-intentioned and in good faith.
You get some answers that also read as well-intentioned and in good faith.

From there it seems that you didn't like the answers you got and the resulting conflagration borders on thermonuclear war. Not good.

I'm not saying that you're obliged to like the answers, but there is such a thing as basic manners - people have freely and willingly given of their own time here.

One can only answer a question based on the information contained in that question; if the answers recieved are believed to be inadequate or otherwise lacking then there is obviously a communication deficit of some kind to be addressed. Strikes me that it would have been far more productive to address that deficit than to engage in flaming out.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

huh.png

huh.png

Excellent Caffeware - I downloaded it and it ran instantly - this is how all software should be written!
Yes! I almost achieved my negative rating!

This shows what a farce it is.

When you're a 20 year veteran of the 3D graphics industry and already worked on Madden Football, Far Cry, Doom, Descent and other games, the rating system doesn't disprove you, you disprove the rating system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement