Time to write rendering engine from scratch

Started by
24 comments, last by L. Spiro 11 years, 5 months ago
"Strikes me that it would have been far more productive to address that deficit than to engage in flaming out."

It's the forum that flames out. I was once a member for years and had a rating of 400 or so, then when I said I didn't like Goto my rating went all the way to -400 - OVER ONE THREAD.
Advertisement
I really do not get why you're reacting this agressively to people's reactions, there was no need for any agression, nobody tried to flame you or attack you in any way whatsoever. You got some valid answers to your question, there may have been some misunderstandings and miscommunications but there's no reason to suddenly react the way you did.
You claim to be an industry veteran of 20 years, if that's true you might want to think about acting somewhat more like an adult then in this situation instead of starting to flame and trying to profile yourself as superior to everyone else because of the projects you have done or (of all things) the compile times you get.

I gets all your texture budgets!

When you're a 20 year veteran of the 3D graphics industry and already worked on Madden Football, Far Cry, Doom, Descent and other games, the rating system doesn't disprove you, you disprove the rating system.

I am really getting tired of you and your inferiority complex. You asked a question hoping to find people with more experience than you on a given subject.
I answered because that subject is exactly down my ally. When I go to work, I make a game engine (unless I am going to my other job that is). When I get home, I make a game engine.

Game engines aren’t rendering engines, but it just so happens that my current task at work is the rendering part, and on my own engine I am currently working on the rendering part.

Because I was just tasked with writing a rendering engine from scratch I wanted to get a consensus on what people who have written rendering engines more recently thought.

And I am exactly the person you wanted to answer this question. I am writing a damned book about rendering/loading graphics files/etc. as we speak.

Suddenly you are offended that someone is better than you at this task, yet why wouldn’t I be? It’s what I do all day every day—whatever you do all day every day probably makes you better at that than I am.
So your inferiority complex kicks in and you have to make up for it in other ways—salary, past projects, status, etc.
I have been extremely kind up to this point, having passed up numerous chances to put you in your place, but here is the deal: You don’t impress me.
There are people here who do, but you will never be one of them. They impress due to their skills and professionalism. Your salary, past projects, and status as a business owner are not impressive. Once again I am leaving it at that instead of taking you down a few notches, although you do deserve to be put in your place. I can at least say that based on your salary, past projects, and status as a business owner, you have no place to brag, so listing these things as an attempt to make up for your shortcomings in skill only make you out as someone that much more desperate to have lived a better life. Just stop trying to make yourself more than you are, because I can promise you that no respectable person I have ever met has made the kinds of posts you have made, trying to prove themselves to some other random person online. Each time you do so just makes you much less of an impressive person and much more like the kind of person who wishes he or she was more than he or she actually is.

You are what’s bringing this site’s quality down.
You only come here to flame and brag about yourself, and this topic serves absolutely no purpose to anyone who stumbles upon it in the future. It starts with a very vague question and quickly becomes a 1-man flame-war. Then you make it clear that your goal is only to get a negative reputation (I still haven’t touched your reputation, by the way).
I am not a moderator here, but it is obvious that if you don’t take a contributory tone starting from your very next post, you will be banned.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

At this point I need to chime in about reputation.

Reputation is NOT there to stroke anyone's ego. Any member of this site with sufficiently high reputation is most definitely NOT getting an internet hard-on (pardon the choice of phrase, couldn't think of a better way of putting it) from it, because they understand the purpose of the system.

The reason for reputation is to act as a service to the community. People can identify the good answers to questions, the ones that are most likely to be the right answer or to at least shove them in the right direction.

A good, fully functioning member will welcome negative reputation as much as they welcome positive reputation, because they will see negative reputation as something that puts their own previously held assumptions to the test. Because they understand that no matter how much one is experienced, no matter how much one knows, learning is a continuous process.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

As a slight topic digression, what is the state / benefits to your engine Spiro? I'm always interested in hearing what goes on :)
As a member who frequents another forum devoted to a specific software, I hope I can provide something in the nature of an opinion.
I myself do not work in rendering engines. I have little experience, yet enough to understand that it can become a quickly all-encompassing task.
The issue here is that you failed to address a generic opening. This is the cause of the troubles. If you have a genuine question, ask it again, and perhaps apologise if you feel that you have overreacted. If you feel that this is unfair, then lest this topic be useful to others it should be left. Best of luck to all.
In digressing I will keep this very brief.
One benefit will be the price (free for indies) while being able to provide better graphics than Unity 3D (the goal is to rival CryEngine 3/Unreal Engine 4).
It should also have no less than the same performance and will offer exceptionally high stability, having been written by only one person (this results in consistent coding style as well).
http://lspiroengine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement