How do I distribute my game?

Started by
4 comments, last by azonicrider 11 years, 5 months ago

Hey, I recently started thinking about how I'd sell my game. I took it for granted before, but recently I've been looking at other game sites and I'm wondering: How do they distribute their software? Take a website like www.minecraft.net for example, when you press "Buy", it brings you to a sheet you have to fill out and then after you've payed, you get your game. How do they do this? It's obviously not as easy as putting up a Mediafire link on your website. Does it have to do with eCommerce? I did some research on my own, and I found a website called BMT MICRO which distributes your software without a client, but I've read it doesn't combat piracy very well, plus, they claim 20% of all earned revenue.

I don't want any suggestions of clients you can sell your game on, like Steam, please.

Advertisement

Hey, I recently started thinking about how I'd sell my game. I took it for granted before, but recently I've been looking at other game sites and I'm wondering: How do they distribute their software? Take a website like www.minecraft.net for example, when you press "Buy", it brings you to a sheet you have to fill out and then after you've payed, you get your game. How do they do this? It's obviously not as easy as putting up a Mediafire link on your website. Does it have to do with eCommerce? I did some research on my own, and I found a website called BMT MICRO which distributes your software without a client, but I've read it doesn't combat piracy very well, plus, they claim 20% of all earned revenue.

I don't want any suggestions of clients you can sell your game on, like Steam, please.

BMT Micro seems like a good option, 20% isn't alot of they handle all the annoying stuff for you.

Piracy prevention is an entierly different matter and has nothing to do with selling games.

You could also make your own soluton based on for example paypal, but it is probably a bit more work. (I don't know how much BMT actually does for you)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
This is a business question, so I moved it to Business.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

BMT Micro seems like a good option, 20% isn't alot of they handle all the annoying stuff for you.

Piracy prevention is an entierly different matter and has nothing to do with selling games.

You could also make your own soluton based on for example paypal, but it is probably a bit more work. (I don't know how much BMT actually does for you)
Really? You could make your game free to download, but you can only play the game after entering a product key. Then people purchase the product key. Most gamers aren't smart enough to decompile a game, and find a way to bypass entering a product key.
(I'm not sure if this concept is frowned upon or not)

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

Most gamers aren't smart enough to decompile a game, and find a way to bypass entering a product key.

No, but they're almost universally willing and able to seek out a copy that someone more skilled has already altered to bypass the copy-protection. Any copy protection will be broken eventually -- and usually pretty quickly -- so the majority of indie developers are moving towards minimal or no copy protection, with many even proudly touting "DRM free" as a feature to entice gamers who have been annoyed by over-zealous protection schemes in previous games.

- Jason Astle-Adams

[quote name='azonicrider' timestamp='1351850233' post='4996486']
Most gamers aren't smart enough to decompile a game, and find a way to bypass entering a product key.

No, but they're almost universally willing and able to seek out a copy that someone more skilled has already altered to bypass the copy-protection. Any copy protection will be broken eventually -- and usually pretty quickly -- so the majority of indie developers are moving towards minimal or no copy protection, with many even proudly touting "DRM free" as a feature to entice gamers who have been annoyed by over-zealous protection schemes in previous games.
[/quote]So the op's hopes of avoiding piracy, won't come true.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement