Sums of uniform randoms

Started by
10 comments, last by Kaptein 11 years, 5 months ago
You can transform a uniform distribution into something usable for, say, minecraft-style biome generation, but it's much more involved than just summing up distributions. Look into fractional brownian motion, perlin noise, etc...

The graphs on the page you link are probability distribution functions, which map any output number to its probability of being generated (well, actually, since we're looking at a continuous range of values, it's really the probability of generating an output between some A and B). They don't mean anything else and a normal distribution will still have a large variance.

Fractional brownian motion seems to be the closest thing you are looking for. Basically, it will take a sample of uniformily generated random numbers, and output a sample of "smooth" noise, which when mapped to a heightmap, would give a somewhat realistic terrain instead of a completely random mess. It involves summing up octaves of the same uniform sample, with different frequency and amplitude. Is this what you were looking for?

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Advertisement
yes, i scrapped my plans for 1D (linear sums) and later weighted voronoi diagrams..
now im indeed using fBms and simplex
http://jpdict.ath.cx...les/biome2d.png
and all is well smile.png

the problem isn't really related to determining the biomes, it's determining the terrain... in real life the terrain determines the biome to some degree
but i'm about to cross that bridge now, so not sure yet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement