Sign in to follow this  
wildcolor

screen Hz

wildcolor    126
Hi guys

I have a CRT monitor that has a 120Hz refresh rate. I want to display my stimulus (say a green rectangle) to have the same rate as the screen. How would I be able to do that?

wildcolor    126
[quote name='Aks9' timestamp='1351871048' post='4996563']
By drawing it on the screen. If vsync is on, you cannot draw it with other rates except f, f/2, f/3, f/4, etc.
[/quote]

Vsync!! That's exactly what I want to check. How would I be able to check the status of Vsync? Also, if Vsync is ON, how would I be able to make my fps as fast as 120Hz? Do I just need to keep the elapsed time of each of my frame to be less that 1second/120?

swiftcoder    18426
[quote name='wildcolor' timestamp='1351871484' post='4996566']
Vsync!! That's exactly what I want to check. How would I be able to check the status of Vsync?[/quote]
That's part of whatever windowing toolkit you are using, not OpenGL itself.

[quote]Also, if Vsync is ON, how would I be able to make my fps as fast as 120Hz? Do I just need to keep the elapsed time of each of my frame to be less that 1second/120?[/quote]
Yes, pretty much.

wildcolor    126
[quote name='swiftcoder' timestamp='1351875800' post='4996598']
[quote name='wildcolor' timestamp='1351871484' post='4996566']
Vsync!! That's exactly what I want to check. How would I be able to check the status of Vsync?[/quote]
That's part of whatever windowing toolkit you are using, not OpenGL itself.

[quote]Also, if Vsync is ON, how would I be able to make my fps as fast as 120Hz? Do I just need to keep the elapsed time of each of my frame to be less that 1second/120?[/quote]
Yes, pretty much.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the reply. It's helpful, but not 100% solve my problem. Could you give me more hints about the details of the windowing toolkit part. For example, I tried SDL, but it doesn't seem to support what I want to do. Do you know anything that does and could you give me some detailed examples?

Aks9    1499
[quote name='wildcolor' timestamp='1351893928' post='4996679']
Could you give me more hints about the details of the windowing toolkit part. For example, I tried SDL, but it doesn't seem to support what I want to do. Do you know anything that does and could you give me some detailed examples?
[/quote]
I still don't understand what the problem is.
In order to have 120Hz refresh rate, you should keep rendering time below 8ms, a trigger repaint after the previous ends.