How to start?

Started by
29 comments, last by Salvo Agosta 11 years, 5 months ago
Ok I got the lesson.
I didn't say i wont learn another language, but i needed something 4 start....and you said i must move.
I'm just doubting about C# and C++ because i know C++ is the A+ language for the game industry, but it's the most diffcult, so I could try to learn C# and change at the end.
I will learn it and when the time to change will come i will be ready.
wont give up, it's my dream to become a game developer and it's my obligation and right to defend it.
I will try and if i will fail i will try again until i'll have success..
Thanks all of you. Finally I got a decision.
See you in the forum.
Advertisement

You mentioned in two posts now that you'd like to make flash games. Do it! I know some C++ and ActionScript. I think you will appreciate Flash and ActionScript because the results are more immediate, so your learning is rewarded faster.

That said, you don't need to be committed to it to the bitter end. Focus on it for a few weeks and you'll know if it's for you. C++ has more options as far as engines and libraries you can use it with (I use a 3D engine called Leadwerks) but as people have said, there are no wrong choices to start learning.

Yes but for a guy that can't programming...it's difficult learn 2 language at the same time...i need just one to start and another to learn later.
I would recommend to start out with either C# or AS3, they are pretty understandable languages and it will allow you to start making games pretty quick. Then after a few years, look into C++ if you feel like it. You will probably discover that C++ is easy to understand after learning C# or AS3 but will still require some time to learn completely/fully.
This may be a bad analogy but maybe the way to think about the whole learning C# vs C++ thing might be like choosing to first learn MS Paint vs Photoshop. There's a lot of power and great tools in Photoshop but if you've never opened a paint program before it really isn't the place to start.
I taught myself C++ as my first language and I didn't think it was difficult.
If you have a strong desire for C++, go for it. This is why I learned C++ first despite many discourages by peers and I never regret it.

This is the order I think you should learn C++.

1. Learn how to write "Hello, World!"
  2. Learn to get user input.
  3. Learn all control structure(if-else, while, for) / Learn to write your own functions
  4. Learn pointers and arrays(This is the C++ threshold that can be tough for some people. Java, C# and python don't have pointers)
  5. and so on..(OOP concepts)

If you cross the threshold, you are fine. However if you think you aren't ready yet, you can consider switching to C# or Java for a period.
The time you've spend C++ won't be a waste because the languages share very similar syntax so you'll pick up very fast.

I read C++ primer plus by stephen prata.This book assumes you have no previous programming experience.
An invisible text.
Honestly, while C++ is my language of choice for most tasks, I wouldn't start with it. Nowadays I would recommend people start with a scripted language, which allows you to try stuff out quickly and doesn't force you to learn how to handle compilation. In particular I think Python is a good pick, because it forces relatively sane coding practices on you, and has a nice set of standard libraries. It's not the most usual choice in game programming, but, hey, game programming is just programming, in the end.

The downside of this would be: you don't get to manage your memory. So, as soon as you have grasped some of the most basic concepts of procedural and OO programming: variables, functions, execution control, classes, inheritance, you should try to learn a little C, so you know how that stuff works behind the curtains, while profiting from your knowledge of OOP and applying it to this new language.

Make sure you keep advancing your understanding of high-level programming while you deal with them bits & voids *, too. Read up on functional programming, on design patterns, and keep writing in Python.

And, then, maybe, someday, C++. After that, you'll be able to pick up the basics of almost any language in a few days. Except for crazy suff like Prolog, maybe.

I would recommend to start out with either C# or AS3, they are pretty understandable languages and it will allow you to start making games pretty quick. Then after a few years, look into C++ if you feel like it. You will probably discover that C++ is easy to understand after learning C# or AS3 but will still require some time to learn completely/fully.

Ok thanks...! Is that what I was trying to understand....because i don't feel ready for C++.
So, i think is better starting with something "easier" and after that study C++

I taught myself C++ as my first language and I didn't think it was difficult.
If you have a strong desire for C++, go for it. This is why I learned C++ first despite many discourages by peers and I never regret it.

This is the order I think you should learn C++.

1. Learn how to write "Hello, World!"
  2. Learn to get user input.
  3. Learn all control structure(if-else, while, for) / Learn to write your own functions
  4. Learn pointers and arrays(This is the C++ threshold that can be tough for some people. Java, C# and python don't have pointers)
  5. and so on..(OOP concepts)

If you cross the threshold, you are fine. However if you think you aren't ready yet, you can consider switching to C# or Java for a period.
The time you've spend C++ won't be a waste because the languages share very similar syntax so you'll pick up very fast.

I read C++ primer plus by stephen prata.This book assumes you have no previous programming experience.

Ok...thanks!

Honestly, while C++ is my language of choice for most tasks, I wouldn't start with it. Nowadays I would recommend people start with a scripted language, which allows you to try stuff out quickly and doesn't force you to learn how to handle compilation. In particular I think Python is a good pick, because it forces relatively sane coding practices on you, and has a nice set of standard libraries. It's not the most usual choice in game programming, but, hey, game programming is just programming, in the end.

The downside of this would be: you don't get to manage your memory. So, as soon as you have grasped some of the most basic concepts of procedural and OO programming: variables, functions, execution control, classes, inheritance, you should try to learn a little C, so you know how that stuff works behind the curtains, while profiting from your knowledge of OOP and applying it to this new language.

Make sure you keep advancing your understanding of high-level programming while you deal with them bits & voids *, too. Read up on functional programming, on design patterns, and keep writing in Python.

And, then, maybe, someday, C++. After that, you'll be able to pick up the basics of almost any language in a few days. Except for crazy suff like Prolog, maybe.

Okay, thanks 4 the advice!
Hey! if you need anything i'd be glad to help you out! ( i'm italian too). If you wanna talk you can add me on skype ZOMBATOR676.
Beyond this.. IMHO you should start with python/pygame, It's a Object Oriented scripting language (beside that it's extremely powerful) with many modules built-in ( from socket to regex ) and will teach you quite good programming habits ( if you don't indent the program is not gonna run :P).
The new boston is a great site for video tuts
Hi, B.IOB

The C# and its supporting technologies are very common in the general program development world. It's a great language that seems to be increasing in the size of its base. Microsoft and other organizations agressively support and promote the C# development environment. Some popular and high quality games continue to be made with it.

The C# is the core of the .Net Framework, allowing you the potential to develop high quality games and other programs (other languages supported, too). Some ways to go with C# would be XNA, SharpDX, or MonoDevelop/Mono, and others. It might be a good idea to look at Unity 3D, too. For beginners, perhaps a year or more should be used with C# and XNA.

The Visual Studio (an IDE - Integrated Development) is used by many developers and should be considered for long term developing. You could get Visual Studio Express at some point until you need more, by the way.

Make simple console programs with your chosen programming environment. Programs like "Hello World", simple data base, and letter display program are your crucial first things to learn.

After you feel confident that you know how to make basic programs, then start making simple console games, like crossword puzzles and Tic-Tac-Toe.

Next stage would be making simple 2D games like Pong, Tetris, Asteroids, Defender, PacMan, and so on. Make about 5 to 10 such games, being sure to finish each very well before going to the next.

Always enjoy the journey in game development. smile.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement