How to start?

Started by
29 comments, last by Salvo Agosta 11 years, 5 months ago

The new boston is a great site for video tuts

One of these days I really need to check out some of these tutorials.

I have heard, repeatedly, from people that are very good programmers, that these tutorials teach some extremely bad practices.
Advertisement

[quote name='mholmes' timestamp='1351989994' post='4997036']

I have heard, repeatedly, from people that are very good programmers, that these tutorials teach some extremely bad practices.
[/quote]

The tutorials are not bad, but as far as i've seen ( i'm not a very good programmer tongue.png ) the guy that makes the video does not have any kind of experience(except some websites). You can read on his "about" page http://thenewboston.org/about.php that he just reads book and the makes the video about them. Since he is teaching a lot of different subjects with no "real world" experience he does not have any good habit to teach. In my opinion tutorials are useful whenever you forget something and you want to give a simple look on how to implement something particular or after reading a book, if you missed something.

Beyond that i've seen some tutorials,vlogs and shows and he seems funny ;P ( indiechatter is better though)

p.s. excuse my english

Hey! if you need anything i'd be glad to help you out! ( i'm italian too). If you wanna talk you can add me on skype ZOMBATOR676.
Beyond this.. IMHO you should start with python/pygame, It's a Object Oriented scripting language (beside that it's extremely powerful) with many modules built-in ( from socket to regex ) and will teach you quite good programming habits ( if you don't indent the program is not gonna run tongue.png).

Hey, thanks 4 the answer, i always like an help!
Right now, i'm still thinking about the language program, a lot of people told me too much different opinions. >_< I'm so confused. I'll add you to skipe. I need to install it.
Solo, una cosa...perchè rispondere in inglese se sei italiano? tongue.png

Thanks, i'll check it out!

Hi, B.IOB

The C# and its supporting technologies are very common in the general program development world. It's a great language that seems to be increasing in the size of its base. Microsoft and other organizations agressively support and promote the C# development environment. Some popular and high quality games continue to be made with it.

The C# is the core of the .Net Framework, allowing you the potential to develop high quality games and other programs (other languages supported, too). Some ways to go with C# would be XNA, SharpDX, or MonoDevelop/Mono, and others. It might be a good idea to look at Unity 3D, too. For beginners, perhaps a year or more should be used with C# and XNA.

The Visual Studio (an IDE - Integrated Development) is used by many developers and should be considered for long term developing. You could get Visual Studio Express at some point until you need more, by the way.

Make simple console programs with your chosen programming environment. Programs like "Hello World", simple data base, and letter display program are your crucial first things to learn.

After you feel confident that you know how to make basic programs, then start making simple console games, like crossword puzzles and Tic-Tac-Toe.

Next stage would be making simple 2D games like Pong, Tetris, Asteroids, Defender, PacMan, and so on. Make about 5 to 10 such games, being sure to finish each very well before going to the next.

Always enjoy the journey in game development. smile.png

Clinton

Thanks, i'll try to enjoy it.
I was asking myself how to start and i've seen a lot of people telling me a lot of different opinion, this is so confusing!
I hope to decide what i should do fastly because i know i've a lot of work to do.

I've thought about C#, i've take from a friend of mine "Beginning C# throught Game Programming" but it seems confusing because it's different to the C++ version.
There are no games like the C++ version.
I can't understand, maybe because he borrowed me the second version?
Well, if that book is confusing you, then you probably should not work with C++ as a first language, in my opinion. Work very hard for a little while in the book. After a few days of hard effort in it, if it still is too confusing, then I would recommend other books or online internet tutorials of a very beginner level. Microsoft and many sites have beginner tutorials in C#, including this website:
C# Workshop
http://www.gamedev.n.../83-c-workshop/

Stay at the task! I had trouble too, so I know that you can do this. Focus! Work hard, but enjoy it!

Let us know in 2 or 3 days how it is going, okay?

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I've thought about C#, i've take from a friend of mine "Beginning C# throught Game Programming" but it seems confusing because it's different to the C++ version.
There are no games like the C++ version.
I can't understand, maybe because he borrowed me the second version?

You really need to focus on learning (whichever) language basics first before you start even thinking about games.
Honestly... perhaps you should start with the artwork/game concept and team up with programmers with some experience to actually code the game. There are plenty of newbies that can program wanting to get involved with something on this site.

There is alot more to a game than the code. I've heard accounts from experienced game developers that code accounts for only 20% of the effort and level/art/concept the other 80%. You don't have to actually program to be a game developer. The programmer was hard core and believe coded the spiderman game engine. He also gave a talk at google I/O on the game he wrote for android, 'Replica island'.

I've developed a simple 2D mobile animation tool so i can work on animations on break at work or on the train. I've written no code for this game yet until i am happy with the set of animations i've developed for it will then write a level builder tool for scene compositing. And plugin the characters i've created.

[quote name='mholmes' timestamp='1351989994' post='4997036']

[/quote]

I tried to learn Java from him before and its terrible. He skips a lot of information that most books will cover and he never finishes any of his series. Their good if you wanted to look up something specific, but other than that stay away.
I would first try to get up and running with the language of your choice. See how far you can get on your own, and then look at some relevant education.

For example, if one is learning C++, then just go buy a book on C++ and start mucking around in MS Visual C++ Express for a while. Then consider a relevant course in C++. Then go back to doing your own thing...then look for another course to improve your core programming skills...

...rinse and repeat. So one can teach themselves, but also get a push from some formal education. You'll find that learning any language need not be difficult...

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Before I start to the quote texts i would like to say that FINALLY I DECIDED the language and I decide for C#. *standing-ovation for the decision (because finally i decided what to study)*
Now...

Well, if that book is confusing you, then you probably should not work with C++ as a first language, in my opinion. Work very hard for a little while in the book. After a few days of hard effort in it, if it still is too confusing, then I would recommend other books or online internet tutorials of a very beginner level. Microsoft and many sites have beginner tutorials in C#, including this website:
C# Workshop
http://www.gamedev.n.../83-c-workshop/

Stay at the task! I had trouble too, so I know that you can do this. Focus! Work hard, but enjoy it!

Let us know in 2 or 3 days how it is going, okay?

Clinton

Okay, many thanks, i will check this tutorial out and i will study it.
Right now i'm studying C# on the book "C# 4.0 in a nutshell". It's a good book but i've got a little confused on a little thing....

Honestly... perhaps you should start with the artwork/game concept and team up with programmers with some experience to actually code the game. There are plenty of newbies that can program wanting to get involved with something on this site.

There is alot more to a game than the code. I've heard accounts from experienced game developers that code accounts for only 20% of the effort and level/art/concept the other 80%. You don't have to actually program to be a game developer. The programmer was hard core and believe coded the spiderman game engine. He also gave a talk at google I/O on the game he wrote for android, 'Replica island'.

I've developed a simple 2D mobile animation tool so i can work on animations on break at work or on the train. I've written no code for this game yet until i am happy with the set of animations i've developed for it will then write a level builder tool for scene compositing. And plugin the characters i've created.

Your reply to my topic is interesting.
I know coding it's not the main part of a game, but I sucks at drawing(is this the correct term?) on the paper...and I don't know if is the same on the computer...
I would like to have more information about this because i would like to do something about desing while i'm learning how to code.....
A lot of my friends told me would be better know both (coding and design)vhappy.png

I would first try to get up and running with the language of your choice. See how far you can get on your own, and then look at some relevant education.

For example, if one is learning C++, then just go buy a book on C++ and start mucking around in MS Visual C++ Express for a while. Then consider a relevant course in C++. Then go back to doing your own thing...then look for another course to improve your core programming skills...

...rinse and repeat. So one can teach themselves, but also get a push from some formal education. You'll find that learning any language need not be difficult...

I know but in the area near to my town there are no course, so i hope to study C++/Java/C# at university the next year.
Right now i can study it only by myself.... :|
Congradulations on a fine choice! biggrin.png

Since you mentioned university, C# seems to me to be your best choice because your being a beginner. It is a very common language in the programming world in general as I wrote elsewhere. Good for you! You are being very reasonable at this crucial stage! biggrin.png It is almost certain that you will learn other languages and C# is a fabulous one to start because it has so many similarities in itself to others and also the development environment is that way, too, for the most part.

Please don't call art work design. Game design includes managing the art creation, but is much broader than just art. Some game designers do coding and some don't - such as my boss (He's a friend but I tease him by calling him "boss" laugh.png ). Some game developers hire game designers to manage the designing of the game, managing the team or teams, and approve the art assets. Often the game designer creates some art, too, and may or may not do coding. It is also possible in theory for a game designer to not work at all with the artists but only design the gameplay features of the game. I know that the word design is thrown around the place here quite a bit, but I just want to encourage you to follow the big flow of things, yet realize that acceptions exist which make the words design and game designer tricky to use correctly at times.

As encouragement, you may start small and grow much in art if you can find your talent. I believe almost everyone has talent in some special area of the many kinds of art for games.

I am a 2D and 3D artist - semi-professional and part time - working in the industy and even I would not recommend that you spend too much time on the art assets at this newbie stage. The coding is going to take years to reach the level of proficiency when you will be effective in all the basic aspects of your fantasy game that you want to make. I would say that a close encounter with the demand of art assets is coming, but you have at least several months of hard work before you feel it much.

For the next few months, a year, or more, you should progress in very ordered fashion starting with simple console programs, easy console games, and maybe simple 2D games in about a year or less. Understand completely each game and finish it well before going to the next. Use open source and no cost art assets for a while in place of your own if you need it, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

At this point, just make a few simple console programs, such as "Hello World", simple data base, letter display application, and others of the console genre.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement