How to start?

Started by
29 comments, last by Salvo Agosta 11 years, 5 months ago
Hi guys,

My name's Salvatore, i'm 18 and i'm from Italy.
I hope you can help me.
But before i start explaining what I need to know....sorry for my bad english, I'm working to improve it, I know it's fundamental for game
development.

Now,
I would like to be a game developer but i don't know how to start.
I don't know any programming language and my mind got sooo confused because i had too different advice from my "friends".

So, I would like to learn an "universal" language, something that can be useful for flash games but for complicated games too.

Someone of you can help me to understand what study?

Take in mind i'm starting from 0.

Some guys told me it's better starting with AS3 and after that study C++, another one told me it's better starting with C# and rest there.
How can I study 2-3 languages right now if I don't know anyone? huh.png
I would like to start studying an universal language.

Hope you can help me.
Thanks,
Salvo. happy.png
Advertisement
Out of c# and as3, i would go with c#. It doesn't require flash player and flash seems to be dying imo. An c# is universal while as3 isn't as much as it is tied to flash.
UHm....I understand.
I would like to do falsh games just to learn the basics stuff that are needed to do more complicated games....
You think C# is helpful?
So I don't have to study C++?

Do you know some good books to study C# for game dev?
Read me.

That should address most of your questions. They key part is to actually do something, dont just think about doing something.
Lol. I know.....i MUST do something...but...i would like to know if the "way" i decide to follow is the correct "way". :S

Lol. I know.....i MUST do something...but...i would like to know if the "way" i decide to follow is the correct "way". :S

You are walking down a hallway you have never been down before, you come to a T-intersection. On your left, a non-descript grey hallway. On your right, a non-descript grey hallway.

Which path is the correct way?

The answer is unknown, but what is known is, if you stand there at the intersection unable to make a decision, you will starve to death.

The moral of this little story? Don't walk around in non-descript hallways you've never been to before. No wait.. that's not it. The moral is, sometimes just making a decision is the right decision, no matter how wrong it turns out to be.
Uhmm...it make sense. unsure.png
But there are a lot of paths, and if I choose the wrong one?
Sorry but i've a lot of fear about take the wrong decision.
Thanks 4 the link. happy.png
There is no correct way. There is no universal language. You shouldn't learn 2-3 languages at the same time. Someday you should learn 2-3 languages really well and you'll probably use many more than that. Flash may or may not be dying but it has a huge install base that won't be going away for awhile; don't base your decision on that. Once you become good at one language learning a new language is much easier. I think beginners should wait on C++ because it has a higher learning curve than many other languages. If you were to pick two languages like C++ and C# then I believe it would take less time to learn C# then C++ than the other way around because of C++'s learning curve getting away with learning the fundamentals of programming.

My default suggestion for beginners is C# or Python, but Action Script would be fine as well. But above all I suggest you don't give up. There is no best path but the only path that gaurantee's failure is to quit. So don't worry so much about doing things right or wrong. If you have questions we're here to help.

Good luck.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Programming is programming.

That article should also have pointed out that for any given language you'll see some very similar concepts. Variables, conditionals, input, output, loops, functions. The syntax can be quite a bit different but the thought process behind getting a program to do what you want it to is generally the same. So any language that you have access to can be used to get your feet wet. Then at some point you'll think to yourself, "Hey I want to do something more advanced," and you search around or ask a questions to do that specific thing and maybe you find out that it's time to try another language that would do what you want to do better.

If you go into this whole programming thing expecting that you'll only ever be using one language, you're really holding yourself back. If you start off thinking that you'll try a few different languages, then maybe it's fair to say what language you start with doesn't matter too much because you're already planning on switching to something else when the time is right.

For the record, my vote for a language to start with would be C#.
You mentioned in two posts now that you'd like to make flash games. Do it! I know some C++ and ActionScript. I think you will appreciate Flash and ActionScript because the results are more immediate, so your learning is rewarded faster.

That said, you don't need to be committed to it to the bitter end. Focus on it for a few weeks and you'll know if it's for you. C++ has more options as far as engines and libraries you can use it with (I use a 3D engine called Leadwerks) but as people have said, there are no wrong choices to start learning.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement