Microsoft under fire

Started by
51 comments, last by mike4 11 years, 5 months ago

Steam is supposedly working on their own linux-game-platform-computer-thingy, no?

To set this straight, no, not a computer-thingy.

Valve has a Linux version of Steam and they're porting a large number of AAA titles, treating GNU/Linux (as opposed to Android/Linux) as a primary target platform. EA is also doing the same. Unity3D is now supporting GNU/Linux as a first-class target platform. These three cornerstone companies on the gaming world are getting full technical support from people like Canonical (the corporate backer of the Ubuntu distribution), who is working with the likes of nVidia to get the video drivers fixed appropriately.

I met with engineers from Valve and Unity3D last week to discuss what's necessary for Ubuntu. It's real.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Advertisement

To set this straight, no, not a computer-thingy.

I'd +100 that if I could ;)
So sad. Thingies are awesome.

I'm going to laugh if this happens for real.
Was gonna say Duke Nukem Forever, but that joke died along "Can it run Crysis?"
Valve has a Linux version of Steam and they're porting a large number of AAA titles, treating GNU/Linux (as opposed to Android/Linux) as a primary target platform. EA is also doing the same.
Wasn't that whole "EA supporting Linux gaming" just a bunch of web based games ?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Yes, played Serious Sam3 yesterday on Ubuntu, as I'm a beta tester. I also have fortress to test later.

Many years ago, I had to follow a M$ Office course and since I'm saturated for life with proprietary OS.- I've only installed osx86 from the other patent troll but it's
much less fun than Linux.

TheCubu, you can run almost anything with Wine. Currently I run perfectly Rage with Wine 1.4 on Ubuntu 12.10.

TheCubu, you can run almost anything with Wine. Currently I run perfectly Rage with Wine 1.4 on Ubuntu 12.10.

I'd say the problem isn't whether it works or not (DRM aside), but performance. Wine likes to run very slow here. Granted, before certain update it was double as slow, but it's still pretty slow for me, even for some of the simplest programs.
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
No, Rage runs as fast and even FSX was only a little slower in a test some months ago with a GTX 460.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1210beta_desktops&num=1
My point was that whether Wine runs fast or slow seems to be hit and miss depending on the system =P (here Wine is a guarantee of slowness, for instance)
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
So you must be doing something wrong. False drivers etc. Wine is definitely NOT slow at all!

So you must be doing something wrong. False drivers etc. Wine is definitely NOT slow at all!

I definitely wouldn't make that accusation. Wine can be very sporadic. A lot of games work fine, but it's fairly bold to assume that Wine works perfectly under all scenarios and that he is doing something wrong.

If wine were never slow at all, why would they have any bugs?
I know. To me Wine isn't a solution. It's just bending over backwards to please developers (or more specifically, publishers who won't invest in other platforms).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement