• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Potion Making Adventure Game. Viable Game Type?

This topic is 1902 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ahh don't worry about it,

Thanks. I know that given one idea two different people are likely to come up with two very different results but still I wanted to state the obvious similarities if only to put my own concerns to the side.

I'm also not sure how one would beat the game or reach a final objective.[/quote]
Personally, I'm leaning towards a battle with some big bad at the end with the option to continue in the overall sandbox mode. With the state of the world I have in mind and the tenancy for spells to be purposed for battle, it seems the direction to go.

For you, I'm not sure an end battle is necessarily the way to go only because I don't think of potions playing a prominent part of battle. Which, I think, suggests perhaps an aim towards either being tasked with discovering one of a variety of specific potions or a perhaps more economic or business related goal. Or perhaps some combination of the two having certain achievements openly available to peruse at any time culminating in a number of progressive ranks. I hate that word 'achievement' but when they're actually set as a specified and challenging tasks it does seem to be an appropriate mechanism to drive the player.

Advertisement

[quote name='CryoGenesis' timestamp='1352244099' post='4998246']Ahh don't worry about it,

Thanks. I know that given one idea two different people are likely to come up with two very different results but still I wanted to state the obvious similarities if only to put my own concerns to the side.

I'm also not sure how one would beat the game or reach a final objective.[/quote]
Personally, I'm leaning towards a battle with some big bad at the end with the option to continue in the overall sandbox mode. With the state of the world I have in mind and the tenancy for spells to be purposed for battle, it seems the direction to go.

For you, I'm not sure an end battle is necessarily the way to go only because I don't think of potions playing a prominent part of battle. Which, I think, suggests perhaps an aim towards either being tasked with discovering one of a variety of specific potions or a perhaps more economic or business related goal. Or perhaps some combination of the two having certain achievements openly available to peruse at any time culminating in a number of progressive ranks. I hate that word 'achievement' but when they're actually set as a specified and challenging tasks it does seem to be an appropriate mechanism to drive the player.
[/quote]
Yeah I'm trying to think of when the moment will be when the player finally decides that he/she is finished with the game. Sure the game might not be able to be finished but there is a point in every game where you just say "Done!". I'm not sure about a big boss battle. I'll have to think of a way that will fit into the game.

For people that are interested.
I have made a document which has the concept written and a some ideas for the game. I'll add it to the main post.

I love this concept, and I want to add something similar to a system I'm creating. I'm making enhanced versions of the Elder Scrolls mini-games, like lockpicking. I was planning to visit the problem on how to enhance Alchemy, and this thread will help me a lot too. So I don't want to just consume ideas, but also want to contribute with some that haven't been mentioned:

• If you have to extract properties from ingredients, you could produce your own vitriol (alchemic acid).
  • You could produce substances that speed-up reactions: catalysts.
  • You can also create additives that multiply the effect of potions.
  • You could have an online market to exchange ingredients, apparatus, recipes, acids, catalysts, acids, etc.
    Edited by cronocr

I love this concept, and I want to add something similar to a system I'm creating. I'm making enhanced versions of the Elder Scrolls mini-games, like lockpicking. I was planning to visit the problem on how to enhance Alchemy, and this thread will help me a lot too. So I don't want to just consume ideas, but also want to contribute with some that haven't been mentioned:

• If you have to extract properties from ingredients, you could produce your own vitriol (alchemic acid).
  • You could produce substances that speed-up reactions: catalysts.
  • You can also create additives that multiply the effect of potions.
  • You could have an online market to exchange ingredients, apparatus, recipes, acids, catalysts, acids, etc.

Really interesting ideas there!
I don't think an online market would really fit with this game though. I'm going for the cliché medieval fantasy setting.
Thanks for the feedback.

Just read your document and it mentioned necromancy. I'm reminded of the film Re-animator based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft. Basically, its described as being like Frankenstein except the reanimation process is performed by injecting the body with a glowing reanimation fluid. Improper dosage or complications can result in the body getting up screaming, have their eyes and skin melt, and then die again shortly afterwards. I understand a villain in the story made a sort of army of zombies by lobotomizing the corpse before reanimating them and controlling them through hypnosis or something.

Funny thing is, I first heard about this on a forum devoted to Bioshock after posting a quick dead-parrot sketch involving the pet shop owner re-animating the bird with plasmids (due to it being in Rapture and all).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement