How were Commodore 64 games developed?

Started by
24 comments, last by Zlodo 11 years, 5 months ago
So I guess that the Commodore 64 was used to make games for itself

What language did they use for them(And by the way, I'm talking those actual commercial games and software for the C64)
because I know you can program in basic straight from the the thing, but did commercial games use assembly?

Speaking of that, could Assembly code be assembled on just the C64, just like basic? Not having to go and buy something

One more thing is, could the Painting softwares for the C64 be used to make the graphics for the C64 games, or did to all be done in the programming?
Advertisement
There were assemblers (MIKRO or MIRKO I think), C compilers, Basic things. There were also paint programs like Deep Paint, and Koala Painter
Can the C64 assemble by itself?

And so those Paint programs you listed could be used for the game graphics and sprites on the C64?
There were commercial development systems available for the C64. You could get a Pascal compiler, for example. There were also assemblers. There were a lot of people well versed in 6502 assembler in those days.

Even programs written in BASIC usually had reems of POKEs.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Yes. Why not?

There is nothing special about generating an .exe or creating a data file to be read. An assembler program needs only to read in your instructions and convert them to a proper binary format in machine language, in this case, machine language specific to the C64.
I mean just like how you can just start the C64 without anything, and just write basic code and compile it without any compiling software, could you do the same exact thing with assembly, just go write some assembly code without anything and assemble same, same exact thing or did you have to Have some assembling software?

I mean just like how you can just start the C64 without anything, and just write basic code and compile it without any compiling software, could you do the same exact thing with assembly, just go write some assembly code without anything and assemble same, same exact thing or did you have to Have some assembling software?

You would either use a macro assembler to convert your assembly code into a binary executable (which you could later LOAD *,8 and RUN), or hand-translate your assembly code into machine code and use the built-in BASIC interpreter to POKE the machine language into memory and execute it.

The C64 used a BASIC interpreter as its "shell". It did not have a line-by-line assembler as its "shell".

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This is similar to the first C64 post by the OP in this forum, and the other one has 0 replies, so I'm closing that one.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yes. Why not?

There is nothing special about generating an .exe or creating a data file to be read

I disagree with your exact wording here, though the underlying thought is bang on the money. The EXE file format is specific to Windows, so there's some secret sauce there. The specifics of how Windows loads and runs programs are kind of cool and worth a read.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
My bad, I meant executable. But .exe files predate windows, and are used as the executable extension on a few non MS OSes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement