Lesson 38 Feedback (Cel Shading)

Started by
10 comments, last by MENTAL 22 years, 5 months ago
I was just wondering what you all thought of the article/source code, if there was anything that needed to be changed (apart from spelling mistakes, i thought Jeff was gonna proff read it ) or would like to see covered, etc. no, this isnt for personal glory (or humiliation), i am working on another verison of the tutorial which will include a hell of a lot of effects (multiple lights, textured cel-shaded objects, and... ummm... that''s it really ), but i want to make sure that this version is pretty much bug-free. thanks in advance MENTAL
Advertisement
I thought it was EXCELLANT, thanks so much. This is something I''ve long been interested in, and you did a good job of putting it on an accessible level.

Got sooo far with my space engine, and now I''m drooling at the thought of throwing it away in favour of a space marine game or similar with big, chunky cartoon mechs.

Thanks again,
aSe
-=aSe=-
thanks .

why not do both? modify the space engine so it works on a planet (i.e. make the ships go bang when they hit the ground), add some cool space marines, and cel-shade the whole thing

heh, if you''re anything like me those ideas are gonna bug you for a LONG time. hell, it''s bugging me and i dont even have a space engine!

MENTAL
Even if your source code was a virus it would still be great.

Anything on nehe.gamedev.net deserves an award .

I''m not up to the level where I know what your talking about but when I am I will check the tutorial out.
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Damn you MENTAL, last week I started researching and collecting a crapload of Cel-Shading (and general Non Photorealistic Rendering) papers... Now you go and post that damn tutorial. Well, I''m still going to have to post my version sooner or later.......... grrrr.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games
you make it sound as if we were in competition my dear trent

MENTAL
Mwuahahahaha... My perfect plan has been put into action.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games
It might be good to include some info on optimizing your models so that the stencil does not end up in the wrong place because it makes the displayed model look incredably (phuck speelling) ugly once renedered. It also may help if you included a more standard format for the incoming models (md2 would be best) so that it would be easier for people to test their models with your code (took me a while to get it right because im unfamilier with the format, and none of my modeling program export into that format. I got it eventually but I still didnt like the results... sorry Im rambling about my shortcomings)

But I found the theory useful and the code effective (yet slow but then NeHe isnt about optimizing... thats my job) and I thank you for sharing that information.

AdNote (for anyone): Would it be possible to use multiple shading techniques at once without a massive loss in speed and useability. I want to have the living creatures be cel-shaded and the inadimate objects have a semi-realistic look.
It might be good to include some info on optimizing your models so that the stencil does not end up in the wrong place because it makes the displayed model look incredably (phuck speelling) ugly once renedered. It also may help if you included a more standard format for the incoming models (md2 would be best) so that it would be easier for people to test their models with your code (took me a while to get it right because im unfamilier with the format, and none of my modeling program export into that format. I got it eventually but I still didnt like the results... sorry Im rambling about my shortcomings)

But I found the theory useful and the code effective (yet slow but then NeHe isnt about optimizing... thats my job) and I thank you for sharing that information.

AdNote (for anyone): Would it be possible to use multiple shading techniques at once without a massive loss in speed and useability. I want to have the living creatures be cel-shaded and the inadimate objects have a semi-realistic look.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my ramblings.
Hey!

Just wanted to say that I really much liked the tutorial. And I think I''m going to use some parts of it and port them to Direct3D. But that''s something for the future (in about a hundred years).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement