• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackfe2010

How to use boost::unordered_map with for_each?

13 posts in this topic

Hi

[CODE]
class TEST
{
public:
TEST() {};
void doSomething(int a,int b);
};
boost::unordered_map<int,boost::shared_ptr<TEST>> g_map;
int main()
{
int p1=0;
int p2=1;
g_map[0]=boost::make_shared<TEST>();
g_map[1]=boost::make_shared<TEST>();
for_each(g_map.begin(),g_map.end(),how to write?);
returns 0;
}
[/CODE]

Who can tell me how to write the for_each?
p1 and p2 are the parameters should send to TEST::doSomething.

The function is called with an [i]std::pair<Tk, Tv>[/i] object, where [i]Tk [/i]is the key type and [i]Tv [/i]is the value type. For example, using a lambda expression:
[code]
for_each(
g_map.begin(),
g_map.end()
[](std::pair<int, std::shared_ptr<TEST>> const &foo){ /* key in foo.first and value in foo.second */ }
);
[/code]
To call the member function [i]doSomething[/i] on the [i]TEST [/i]object, and passing [i]p1 [/i]and [i]p2 [/i]to it, you can implement the function to call [i]doSomething [/i]on the value and capture the parameters [i]p1 [/i]and [i]p2 [/i]with the lambda expression.
[code]
for_each(
g_map.begin(),
g_map.end()
[=](std::pair<int, std::shared_ptr<TEST>> const &foo){ foo.second->doSomething(p1, p2); }
);
[/code]
Replace [i]std::[/i] with [i]boost::[/i] at suitable places. I don't have boost installed on this machine so can only verify it with the std equivalents.

It is the capture part of the lambda expression syntax. I'm not sure if your question is about lambda expressions in general or if you are aware of them and just want to know why I use the equal sign in the capture part.

If you want to know about lambda expressions in general, then your best option is to just use your favorite search engine so you can read some proper written material instead of a quick forum post. But if you're just wondering about the capture part, then it simply means that the values are captured by value instead of being captured by reference (which would be [&]). The difference between a value and a reference capture is whether the variable inside the lambda expression is a copy of, or a reference to, the original variable. By value-capture is the default so it could actually have been left out.

ok, i think i need to learn some lambda expression.

but Is this the only solution to use "lumbda"?

And what the performance about the lumbda?

Can i use huge amount of lumbda expressions in my code? Edited by blackfe2010

alvaro's solution is better than a for_each call. But there are other options to lambda expressions to use with for_each if you really want to use it, such as a function object.
[code]
struct myfuncobj {
myfuncobj(int p1, int p2) : p1(p1), p2(p2) { }

void operator()(std::pair<int, std::shared_ptr<TEST>> const &foo) {
foo.second->doSomething(p1, p2);
}

private:
int p1, p2;
};
for_each(g_map.begin(), g_map.end() myfuncobj(p1, p2));
[/code]
The function object is more or less equivalent to what the compiler would generate for the lambda expression, but has the drawback of being more code to write and that you have to separate the for_each-statement and its actual code.

[quote name='blackfe2010' timestamp='1352211486' post='4998033']
ok, i think i need to learn some lambda expression.
[/quote]
Yes, assuming you have a compiler that supports the current C++ standard.
[quote]
but Is this the only solution to use "lumbda"?
[/quote]
No. You can hand-craft a functor class (if your compiler does not support lambdas) or use std::bind (or boost::bind if your compiler does not support the current C++ standard).
[quote]
And what the performance about the lumbda?
[/quote]
Generally as good as you can get. The compiler will effectively transform the expression into an inline function.
[quote]
Can i use huge amount of lumbda expressions in my code?
[/quote]
Yes you can. Don't. You can use them frequently, but if the expression is more than a few (1 to 7, say) lines then from a readability standpoint you would benefit from writing a separate function and using std::bind if currying arguments is required. Short lambda expressions increase code readability, longer ones decrease it. Edited by Bregma

[quote name='Bregma' timestamp='1352220767' post='4998097']
Yes you can. Don't. You can use them frequently, but if the expression is more than a few (1 to 7, say) lines then from a readability standpoint you would benefit from writing a separate function and using std::bind if currying arguments is required. Short lambda expressions increase code readability, longer ones decrease it.
[/quote]Long lambdas do not decrease code readability. The difference between this:
[code]for (auto it=begin(container); it!=end(container); ++it)
{
... 20 lines ...
}[/code]and this:[code]for_each(begin(container),end(container),[](element &x)
{
... 20 lines ...
});[/code]is just a matter of taste. I tend to like the for_each version when I can't use range-for.
You can use lambdas of whatever length when the functionality within is a one-off and not needed anywhere else in the code.
If the code is needed several times but only locally, you can still use a lambda and avoid polluting the outer scope with useless stuff:[code]void someFunc()
{
auto snarf = [](foo &amp;amp;f) { /* snarfing a foo */ };
for_each(begin(manyFoos), end(manyFoos), snarf);
snarf(*begin(manyFoos)); // first foo needs to be snarfed twice
snarf(anotherFoo);
}[/code] Edited by Stroppy Katamari

The forum editor seems to be bugged. If I try to edit the typos out, it just spawns more typos. Maybe it doesn't like the lambda syntax? :-(

Hi, I'm come back.

Sorry, I found i use vs2008 in one of my computer.
So I can't use c++11 like:
[quote name='Álvaro' timestamp='1352198432' post='4997966']<br /> for (auto entry : g_map) entry.second->doSomething(p1, p2);<br />[/quote]
and
[quote name='Brother Bob' timestamp='1352197847' post='4997965']<br />for_each( g_map.begin(), g_map.end() [=](std::pair<int, std::shared_ptr<TEST>> const &foo){ foo.second->doSomething(p1, p2); } );<br />[/quote]

And I want use boost::bind to solute this problem.

At first, I want to bind [url="http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/doc/html/lambda/le_in_details.html#lambda.members_variables_as_targets"]member variables[/url] std::pair<int,boost::shared_ptr<TEST>>::second
[source lang="cpp"]
for_each(
g_map.begin(),
g_map.end(),
boost::bind(&std::pair<int,boost::shared_ptr< TEST > >::second,_1));
[/source]
But it's failed, why?

Yeah, you can start from that and add an outer bind that binds to &TEST::doSomething.

Is there any reason you can't upgrade your Visual Studio to a new version and start using modern language features?

Why insist on using for_each? If the syntax is so cumbersome that you (or I) can't figure it out, why not use an old-fashioned loop?

[code]for (boost::unordered_map<int,boost::shared_ptr<TEST> >::iterator it = g_map.begin(), end = g_map.end(); it != end; ++it)
it->second->doSomething(p1, p2);
[/code]