Help me pick an engine.

Started by
5 comments, last by kiran132 11 years, 5 months ago
I'm looking to make a game that has randomly generated maps and have a some questions.

1) What is the best free engine for something like this.

2) What is the best engine that is not free.

I was messing around with Blender until I read that from a lot of people that it's really bad for making games.Also I have basic knowledge of Python, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Any engine can randomly generate maps, so this has no bearing. If you are looking for an engine that supports this out of the box with no effort then that is a different story. Mostly the big company backed engines do that and some of those are free to use. Try unreal engine, that would support random maps out of the box if you know what you are doing.
There is no "best". You can however start with this guide, it's a list of every single major 3D engine in popular use, as well as most of the details you need to get started in your research.

If you are looking for Python specific engines, that narrows it down to 2. Blender Game Engine and Panda.
Hi,

Python is a great choice for a beginner or professional, so I hope that you stay with it to get skilled with the language.

Some awesome games have been made with the Blender game engine area of Blender, but generally you need to be careful with what and how you render in it. The game engine is quite powerful now with the latest release a few weeks ago, actually.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

That is a decision that you should make yourself. Every 3d game engine I have used, free or not, has given randomly created maps/terrains. It is not the game engine that limits what you can do with it. It is your effort that limits you.

Follow your gut, there are some good suggestions from these replies also. Personally I liked using Blitz3d, it created random maps and the Torque engine as well.

Look into Serapht's link he posted!
Use Unity3d it the engine that I am currently learning to use its really great for noobs and there are a ton of free learning material out there for anyone. Good luck.
I prefer Unity 3d . It has very gud tutorials out there which could help you to master the game engine within no time

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement