Questions about Updating SDK. Visual C++ (.NET)

Started by
9 comments, last by 21st Century Moose 11 years, 5 months ago
will i receive errors in my source code if i update my SDK? my current SDK is december 2005 and seems it's too outdated and i want to update it to june 2010 will i receive errors if i compile my solution?
Advertisement
You shouldn't. But I can't say with 100% sure. You should update the SDK anyway.
thanks for the answer. Do SDK affects game graphics also?
I don't think so. I think these changes on the SDK are more on the features like compilers debugger etc...
And you shouldn't use them embedded on your application. Only for debbug purposes. So you should be fine
I see so if i update my DirectX9 codes to DirectX11 is it the one who handles graphics enhancements?
No, the driver handle those changes(If I got what u mean).
D3D 9 and D3D 11 has several differences and upgrading a D3D9 to D3D11 program will require more and less of work. Updating the SDK doesn't make your program to use D3D 11 automatically. The D3D11 API has several differences and you should look into it before starting to work with it.

However, you should be able to use the D3D9 interfaces with the newest SDK too.

Cheers!
thanks for the answer Such1 and kauna, now im just wondering how can i improve the game graphics smoothness. I have really no idea where it should update or something.
You mean you want to improve the FPS of your game? You have several ways to do that. But it depends a lot on what kind of game you have.
And on how much do you need to improve. Definetely DirectX 11 is faster than 9, but it is not as compatible.

now im just wondering how can i improve the game graphics smoothness

This is rather huge question in the sense that there are lots of things that affect performance.

There are several guide lines for typical scenarios such as:
- reduce drawcalls, state changes, shader changes, texture changes etc
- to reduce drawcalls you may and should use instancing

- if you are CPU bound (ie. you can't feed enough data/draw calls to your GPU) you'll have to look where to optimize your CPU usage

Cheers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement