Best Storylines and Worlds

Started by
12 comments, last by Luau Design DF 11 years, 4 months ago
Please post:
1) Best storylines
2) Best worlds (in laws not in look. i mean like for example the well known avatar cartoon where they can control elements)
created. It can be from any place. A book, a game, a comic/manga, your imagination, whatever.
Advertisement
For what sort of game should the worlds (rules) apply?

I'm not sure I think it's the very best, but the old FF storylines are great.
Chrono trigger is probably my most favored adventure game overall,
but presentation and gameplay takes their part too, so I can't credit its story alone.
I enjoyed the FFs that allowed jobs (FF1 had this IIRC, but in FF6 you had to find crystals to assign specific jobs)
The Bioshock games have interesting worlds with lots of elements you don't find many other places.
The story is also cool enough.

Is this the sort of stuff you're looking for?
For what sort of game should the worlds (rules) apply? Not a game. Just wondering. Not quite. Worlds like bioshock i meant not maps, but laws.
I think that the Mass Effect games have great stories (Not counting the controversial ending in number 3 but the extended cut version instead )and Bioshock's story is pretty interesting.

The worlds in both games are great to explore around as well. don't forget to consider The Elder Scrolls games, Fallout, Borderlands, and Dead Island. Keep in mind that these are open world games, that is why I selected them as the best worlds because they are great if you like exploring.
Not a game, but the Eragon series of books had a fantastically detailed world (particularly the idea of magic) which I would pay dearly to see PROPERLY transformed into a movie or (*nerdgasm*) game (the only movie created based on the first book was just plain bad).

Otherwise I recently played through Ace Combat 5 on the PS2 and found its story very moving (the artwork may have had something to do with it, but I can't really separate the two in my mind now that I've seen it). I can't speak to the other games in the series (AC1-4) because it's my roommate's PS2 and he only brought the one game in the series, but if you get the chance, I highly suggest you check that one out.
I like Bethesda's depth of lore in their games, even going back as far as Morrowind (I never played any before that)
Most of you have misunderstood what I meant with world. If in doubt look at pixelartist's post. I've read the books and yes it is nice, but still it's a lot like Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time has a way more developed world than both Eragon and Lord of the Rings. And yes the eragon movie did suck.
Well, you were being very vague in your post:

Best worlds (in laws not in look. i mean like for example the well known avatar cartoon where they can control elements) created.
[/quote]
In laws? As in a ruleset? A concept? Physics? Laws constituted by a governing entity and then enforced by the police? The mention of Avatar doesn't explain what you mean by these non-visual laws. Are you referring to adventure/fantasy clichés?
When you're not being specific enough, people will misunderstand you.
We're only trying to help you out, so maybe you could explain what you need.

EDIT: Just realized that this is "The Creative Side" section.
Nevermind being specific...

Most of you have misunderstood what I meant with world. If in doubt look at pixelartist's post. I've read the books and yes it is nice, but still it's a lot like Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time has a way more developed world than both Eragon and Lord of the Rings. And yes the eragon movie did suck.

The best way to get a discussion started is not just to tell your readers what you want them to discuss, but also to begin the discussion yourself. Rather than just say "discuss best storylines and worlds," start by saying what you think are best storylines and worlds. That way, you give people a better idea of what kind of discussion you're looking for.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

SF world concepts:

Dragons and dragon riders: Honestly I still haven't seen a version of this which really does well at the "dragons are people too" part. The originators are Dungeons and Dragons and Anne McCaffrey's Pern series, though.

Humans converted into computer-like minds controlling spaceship or mecha bodies: Anne McCaffrey's Ship series, some Transformers fanfiction about humans being converted into transformers.

Shinigami and Personified/Soul Weapons: Soul Eater and Bleach; Utena is a slightly more distant ancestor.

Connection between aliens and Earth's ancient history (alien archeology): Stargate

Concept of possessing another human combined with time travel: Quantum Leap

Labyrinth of spiritual tests: Jim Henson's Labyrinth

Some of my favorite world-concepts are hard to tie to a specific origin. For example, I like shapeshifters who can take any form and have to consciously build themselves into the form they want to take, rather than shapeshifters who have some magical affinity with some type of animal. But other than Odo from ST Deep Space Nine, I can't recall any good examples of this type of shapeshifting.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement