Where Do I Start For This Style?

Started by
3 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 4 months ago
Source:
[media]
[/media]

Question:
I was wondering how would I recreate a style similar to the non-band footage in the source video (like the intro stuff). Should I use 3D models or 2D? What game engine would be best (for PCs. Maybe ported for mobile)? Any particular shader? Any help would be appreciated. This would be for a future project, so just trying to plan ahead.

Background:
I am somewhat knowledgeable in 3D modelling (I do mostly environments), and very knowledgeable in programming and digital art. Don't know much on animation yet.
Advertisement
It really depends on how you would use the assets. If they are background, you would use 2D images etc.

Want to get to know my work and I better? See my website: Au 79 Games

I wrote General Tips on the Process of Solo Game Development

The game engine depends on the kind of interactivity you want - if you just wanted to make a non-interactive video you wouldn't need a game engine at all. This was most likely made partly in a 3D program (all the video bits which don't have any live people) and partly in a movie editing program (the part where the monk was green-screened and composited with the 3D modeled concentric circles in the ground, and splicing the different kinds of footage together and synching it with the music).

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

how would I recreate a style similar to the non-band footage in the source video (like the intro stuff). Should I use 3D models or 2D? What game engine would be best

This is not a Game Design question. Not sure if it's a Visual Arts question, but I suspect it's a For Beginners question. Moving it accordingly.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi,

The higher the quality, then the more likely it will be rendered rather than in real time, though real time is fast closing the gap in quality. I recommend both 3D and 2D art for something like that. Some effects such as lighting and particles would be a natural addition.

Blender - Python, Open Source, no cost development environment
[media]
[/media]
[media]
[/media]

XNA - C# mainly, Planet Renderer, still rocks, so XNA is a consideration
[media]
[/media]

SpaceEngine
[media]
[/media]

Ogre3D - C++ mainly, can do an image job quite nicely with custom coding and plug-ins
[media]
[/media]

MonoDevelop/Mono for C# and others
SharpDX for C# and others

SDL - C++
[media]
[/media]
[media]
[/media]

I use GIMP, Blender, Wings3D, Mono, and learning a little SharpDX.

There are other engines and simulations out there, some open source and others proprietary, so have a nice search and a nice day! smile.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement