Really clueless, how to start?

Started by
2 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 5 months ago
SOLVED

Hey, im nomnum and i am a beginner at just about every coding language :/

I have a bad habit of jumping around to different programming languages because people keep changing my opinion in which is best.angry.png

ANYWAYS!: My question is, i have recently been learning python, and i have done most to all the beginner tutorials teaching me how to use functions, operators, classes, etc. All this is great and I can easily make a functioning program, but only with words. By this i mean i can only do basic command-prompt-like presentations. I want to make a game with graphics, screens, buttons and everything but i dont know how or whee to begin. I dont necessarily expect you to give me an entire tutorial on this thread, but i would really apretiate if someone could direct me to a website or forum that teaches you how to actually make a simple game (2D).

If python doesn't have or has limited features for game making, i know Java and C++ pretty well too!

Thanks! smile.png
Advertisement
Try PyGame -- the official documentation provides some tutorial links, and there's also some tutorials in the wiki.

I have a bad habit of jumping around to different programming languages because people keep changing my opinion in which is best

There is no "best". Languages have different strengths and weaknesses, but any language you're comfortable with will be just fine. If you want to get things done just stick with one. Python is a good choice to start with.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Hey, im nomnum and i am a beginner at just about every coding language :/

Nobody knows every language, and if you are just starting to learn to program, ofcourse your knowledge is limited.
I have a bad habit of jumping around to different programming languages because people keep changing my opinion in which is best.angry.png
[/quote]
That's not good. The best language is the language currently in your hand that you have already began learning. Stick with whatever language you choose for at least two years (and Python is an excellent choice).

Master one language, and it then becomes easy to switch to most others. Learn Python (and libraries like PyGame) and learn it well - don't get tossed to and fro by every wind of programming advice some tosses at you. Stick with one language, follow it through. Two years later, ask yourself where to proceed from there to accomplish your goals.
Hi,

jbadams and Servant of the Lord gave you exactly what you need in the short term.

I have a bad habit of jumping around to different programming languages because people keep changing my opinion in which is best.[/quote]

To be honest, they did not keep changing your opinion but you did. Looking long term, it will benefit you greatly to not blame the jungle for your struggles, but instead take responsibility for your role in getting through it or avoiding it altogether. It takes much experience in at least one language and a lot of programming experience to be a trail blazer, so until then you should stay on the proven beaten path revealed in these forums for learners.

I really hope that you and everyone reading this does not take offense at my expressing the realities of life, but I feel that this is too important to not identify.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement