Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misterags

The Zen of Direct 3D

misterags    122
Has anyone read the book "The Zen of Direct 3D"? I''m about to buy the book. I''ve read the first 3 chapters and really love it. Has anyone been through the whole thing, and can tell me how it is, or heard about how it is? I''ve heard Prima''s game development series is really good.... misterags™

PongOne    122
I''ve read the book and think it''s pretty good. The code in the book is buggy as hell but that just helps you work it out on your own. You don''t learn anything by compiling perfect code from a book.

misterags    122
I looked at the Zong code he did and remember him mentioning there were some bugs that he left in there for us to find out and fix. Do you think it''s cause he couldn''t fix em, or cause he didn''t take the time to, or cause he really wanted us to figure them out?

-Jesus Lives
Misterags™

Valorin    122
Well considering that he''s a professional at programming, I''m guessing he could fix ''em if he wanted to. But leaving them there, gives people the opportunity to real time troubleshoot their code. As for the book, it''s a great book, althought I''m not done yet, and I think he''s great at explaining even abstract concepts. There are some error (small however), but his final code works fine. Some of the examples he says are on the disc, weren''t on mine, and some bitmap stuff was therefore a little hard, but it was okay after I figured it out. Otherwise, this book does assume some programming experience, more than I expected, but not too much for me not to understand. I think you should get the book, but if not, there are lots of others out there too. Have fun programming.