Unappreciated "Skills" ?

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 11 years, 5 months ago
It is common to brand some on that works certain jobs as being "unskilled", but is that actually true? What "hidden" skills can you think of, for those that work jobs that are considered "unskilled" ?

A good example I have thought of, is a worker at McDonalds. Some one who works there for some time, picks up both Customer Service AND line assembly skills.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement
Okay, let's use the McDonalds worker as an example. Some of them go to college with fantastic grade point average in a tough major.

I have another one for you: How about the millions of college graduates working low income jobs or even unemployed (in the United States of America) ?

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

It is common to brand some on that works certain jobs as being "unskilled", but is that actually true? What "hidden" skills can you think of, for those that work jobs that are considered "unskilled" ?

A good example I have thought of, is a worker at McDonalds. Some one who works there for some time, picks up both Customer Service AND line assembly skills.

You don't go to McDonalds because of the cashiers customer service skills. You could have the best customer service cashier in the world working in your McDonalds and it would have very little impact on the income that restaurant generates. You could also replace that expert at customer service with a random person off the street and not see a significant difference in revenue. Compare that to "skilled" jobs. You cannot pick a random person off the street and be able to successfully replace a doctor, lawyer or engineer.

Customer service (at the level of McDonalds) and line assembly are both good examples of unskilled labour. Both could conceivably be better done by machine. Instead of a human at a counter, you could have a touch screen menu. The food is already prepared and putting it together isn't really that hard.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

It is common to brand some on that works certain jobs as being "unskilled", but is that actually true?

The term applies to the job, not the worker.

A quick Google search for the definition yields: daily production tasks that do not depend on technical abilities or skills.

Just because the job doesn't depend on them does not mean that the individual worker is lacking skills.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement