What do you think of this?

Started by
40 comments, last by ShiftyCake 11 years, 4 months ago
np

WOH. hold on. I'm signed in as ShiftyCake, not ShiftyKake..........
what. :/
so this means I made an account for ShiftyCake without realising, and is why I had to make Shiftykake.
This sucks. Signing into my real account now, sorry.
np
Advertisement
Don't worry, I noticed. Anyway, slenderman is a man with no face, and he wears a business suit. He stalks and kills people. Before they die, they see him everywhere they go. Kind of sounds like your story.
My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!

Don't worry, I noticed. Anyway, slenderman is a man with no face, and he wears a business suit. He stalks and kills people. Before they die, they see him everywhere they go. Kind of sounds like your story.

I see what you mean, though it sounds more modern or at least post-medieval era, a business suit isn't something one would expect to see in a medieval setting.

meh, its not working. I'll deal with it later. Anyways, your right. His theorisation is similar, a bit like my game and bastion. Which is why you'll have to look at slendermen, to see what you can do differently in yours so as to make yours "unique".

My idea for the beast was, its real for you and you alone. It might exist  but its just as likely that your character is insane, and very dangerous because of there hallucinations. From your perspective, there is this destructive impossible thing hunting you down and killing people whenever it shows up. No one else sees it because from their perspective, they literally see you doing these things to them. No one believes in monsters like the creature, so no one seriously believes that your being hunted by it. I didn't wan to explain how it finds you or give proof that its there,

I was saying everything in theory, in actual reality the player will have no idea about any of this. It will just happen and he'll have to figure it out as he goes. The problem with never giving proof it is there, is that their is no solution to your problem of endings. You'll have three choices, stay in solitude forever, go to jail or get executed. None of these are good endings, which creates the problem of an "all negative game". Even slendermen has a good ending, where you collect all the papers. It's a necessity within games, for without it the player is never satisified since it doesn't really feel like a "victory" as such. If you don't wish the beast to become known, you'll have to find a solution for that.

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

Before they die, they see him everywhere they go

everywhere they go......interesting....would certainly make you paranoid if you saw and or heard the thing all the time, but it only actually did anything occasionally.

[quote name='dtg108' timestamp='1352678637' post='5000039']

meh, its not working. I'll deal with it later. Anyways, your right. His theorisation is similar, a bit like my game and bastion. Which is why you'll have to look at slendermen, to see what you can do differently in yours so as to make yours "unique".

My idea for the beast was, its real for you and you alone. It might exist but its just as likely that your character is insane, and very dangerous because of there hallucinations. From your perspective, there is this destructive impossible thing hunting you down and killing people whenever it shows up. No one else sees it because from their perspective, they literally see you doing these things to them. No one believes in monsters like the creature, so no one seriously believes that your being hunted by it. I didn't wan to explain how it finds you or give proof that its there,

I was saying everything in theory, in actual reality the player will have no idea about any of this. It will just happen and he'll have to figure it out as he goes. The problem with never giving proof it is there, is that their is no solution to your problem of endings. You'll have three choices, stay in solitude forever, go to jail or get executed. None of these are good endings, which creates the problem of an "all negative game". Even slendermen has a good ending, where you collect all the papers. It's a necessity within games, for without it the player is never satisified since it doesn't really feel like a "victory" as such. If you don't wish the beast to become known, you'll have to find a solution for that.
[/quote]
I see what you mean, I'll admit I haven't had much time to fully flesh the details of the story line out, more focus has been placed on game controls and visual style. One of the possible endings could be that this thing does turn out to be real, or at the least, evidence of your innocence could be found, though the character themselves may always wonder about what really happened.
My idea was that the player to some manner becomes aware that staying in a populated are grants longer safety from the creature then hiding out in the wilds in an abandoned house or cave area, the downside is, that when you do choose to put people in danger by living among them with this thing after you, you are blamed for its actions, because you are what people see doing everything you see the creature doing. Does someone being hunted by a monster DESERVE a happy ending when they choose to blatantly risk and constantly get other people killed for the sake of a warm bed and easier to acquire meals?

[quote name='ShiftyCake' timestamp='1352679015' post='5000041']

My idea for the beast was, its real for you and you alone. It might exist  but its just as likely that your character is insane, and very dangerous because of there hallucinations. From your perspective, there is this destructive impossible thing hunting you down and killing people whenever it shows up. No one else sees it because from their perspective, they literally see you doing these things to them. No one believes in monsters like the creature, so no one seriously believes that your being hunted by it. I didn't wan to explain how it finds you or give proof that its there,

[/quote]
I see what you mean, I'll admit I haven't had much time to fully flesh the details of the story line out, more focus has been placed on game controls and visual style. One of the possible endings could be that this thing does turn out to be real, or at the least, evidence of your innocence could be found, though the character themselves may always wonder about what really happened.
[/quote]

possible, in his last battle, they find evidence of the beast having been there through a paw mark or something of the sort. Yet later on, he starts having flashbacks of himself making that exact paw. It can be him knowing accurately he made it, or him suspecting it through finding a tool on the ground or something. You can even let the player choose to reveal such, or pretend nothing happened.The visual style should have a calm, serene effect when the beast or villagers are not near and either go into intense, ominous style for the beast or scary, quickened style for the villagers. With games like these, it's all about smoothly shifting between the different instances.

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

[quote name='ThisIsAUsername' timestamp='1352679443' post='5000044']
[quote name='ShiftyCake' timestamp='1352679015' post='5000041']

My idea for the beast was, its real for you and you alone. It might exist but its just as likely that your character is insane, and very dangerous because of there hallucinations. From your perspective, there is this destructive impossible thing hunting you down and killing people whenever it shows up. No one else sees it because from their perspective, they literally see you doing these things to them. No one believes in monsters like the creature, so no one seriously believes that your being hunted by it. I didn't wan to explain how it finds you or give proof that its there,

[/quote]
[/quote]

possible, in his last battle, they find evidence of the beast having been there through a paw mark or something of the sort. Yet later on, he starts having flashbacks of himself making that exact paw. It can be him knowing accurately he made it, or him suspecting it through finding a tool on the ground or something. You can even let the player choose to reveal such, or pretend nothing happened.The visual style should have a calm, serene effect when the beast or villagers are not near and either go into intense, ominous style for the beast or scary, quickened style for the villagers. With games like these, it's all about smoothly shifting between the different instances.
[/quote]
True, ominous music and lighting changes would definantly clue players in to whats happening,
Believe it or not, there have been stories of the Slender back in those times, tales of a tall man with long arms that stalked people.
My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement