Usage of the "follow topic" feature -- give us your feedback!

Started by
13 comments, last by L. Spiro 11 years, 4 months ago
I can’t remember for sure if I have ever actually used it, but if I have I can certainly say that there was no result in having used it. That is, even if I actually did once use it on a topic, I never received any updates on said topic, which, assuming no bugs on the site, means that no one ever replied.

That doesn’t mean it should go away though. Every option counts, even if not everyone is using them.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement

That doesn’t mean it should go away though. Every option counts, even if not everyone is using them.

To be clear, we're not looking at removing the feature, just making an adjustment: at the moment, explicitly "following" a topic gives a small reputation boost to the original poster, with the original thought being that they must have created particularly valuable or interesting content, but it's seeming more like a lot of people use the feature for other reasons.

- Jason Astle-Adams

[quote name='Olof Hedman' timestamp='1352820216' post='5000598']
I'd just like to add, that the main usage I have for it is to keep track of threads I've been active in, to follow up on replies and maybe reply again.

You don't need to follow threads to do that. On the top right of the page, click on your name next to the sign out button, and then click on the My Content link from the drop down.
[/quote]

Ah, thanks, I had overlooked that option.
Then the watched list is just more convenient to me, since I can add topics to it without replying, and still have everything in the same list :)
I seldom use the feature.
Even if it's there, I often realize I forget about it. Maybe it should get a big button like the top black reply.

I can’t remember for sure if I have ever actually used it, but if I have I can certainly say that there was no result in having used it. That is, even if I actually did once use it on a topic, I never received any updates on said topic, which, assuming no bugs on the site, means that no one ever replied.
Have you checked your notification options in profile settings? The default settings are a bit awkward in my opinion.

Previously "Krohm"

I see, but it is meaningless if it does not show me some kind of notification.
I don’t go to my profile unless there is a notification of some kind.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement