Help To Find NextStep-Game Programming

Started by
10 comments, last by Farbodkain 11 years, 5 months ago
Hi,i hope someone here help me to find right way.
i want to become Game Programmer.I’m trying to learn C++ language from basic from this Book right now "C++ How to Program 8th Ed. Deitel".i had experience with other Language like Java,C#,VB and write a some program with C# but not expert on them.someone in this forum tell me better choice is Learning C++ so i try to learn.
here is question:
I just want to know what is best next step for someone like me after finish learning the basic of C++. I mean After Complete this book and had enough Knowledge About C++ Language which book or site or other thing you guys suggest for reach to my goal(Game Programming).

Appreciate For Any Offer
Advertisement
21 viewed Topic and no one know anything at all?i mean no one!
Edited-------------------------
i'm so sorry,if i'm insulted to anyone with this post.
Tip 1: Learn to write properly, don't get me wrong, i didn't notice a typo, i noticed that you pressed enter too many times, and split information around.
Tip 2: Don't be mean if someone didn't help ( Help To Find NextStep-Game Programming ) ain't best of topic name so people come in and see what did you ask actualy
should say "Looking for book on c++ that teaches game programing"
Tip 3: I cant figure out whats the question, i waste my life time reading about you instead of reading the question... i believe there is a thing called "Facebook" if you want to get attention.
No offence but posting on a forum board will not always honor a response from the members of said forums, especially when you cannot see the formatting of a question before counting it as a view post.

You want to be a game programmer. Well, you're in the right place and that's a good start.

Did you do any research on why you want to use C++, or did you just take someone's advice as a golden rule? What can you tell us about game programming with C++ or programming with it general? What about compared to the languages you mentioned that you have experience in?

Answer those questions for us and then people will understand your learning path and assist you further.

Cheers,

Pash
Please Add Rep if I helped // Working on untitled 2D platformer (more to come soon)
Twitter - @MarkPashby

No offence but posting on a forum board will not always honor a response from the members of said forums, especially when you cannot see the formatting of a question before counting it as a view post.
You want to be a game programmer. Well, you're in the right place and that's a good start.
Did you do any research on why you want to use C++, or did you just take someone's advice as a golden rule? What can you tell us about game programming with C++ or programming with it general? What about compared to the languages you mentioned that you have experience in?
Answer those questions for us and then people will understand your learning path and assist you further.
Cheers,
Pash

first of all thanks. Second of all about those question you asked.1.yes i take advice from someone and start to learn C++,and i can't tell you anything at all about game programming With C++ because i don't have any clue and knowledge in this field. about question 2.i don't know which of those language i said, what capability had in Game Fields and as i said before i don’t have expert skill of those Language. Maybe right now my skill about C++ so better other than those language.
i create this topic because i want to assure this is right path i choose and i want to know what is best option for me in next step so i create this topic and hope someone help me to figure out. and lack my information in Game Development issue Because of my country.

Oh thanks BaneTrapper for your Mean post.oh i'm sorry for waste your precious time and im so sorry of all gamers In World becuase i take time of DAVID CAGE.

[quote name='Pash' timestamp='1352821547' post='5000602']
Cheers,
Pash

first of all thanks. Second of all about those question you asked.1.yes i take advice from someone and start to learn C++,and i can't tell you anything at all about game programming With C++ because i don't have any clue and knowledge in this field. about question 2.i don't know which of those language i said, what capability had in Game Fields and as i said before i don’t have expert skill of those Language. Maybe right now my skill about C++ so better other than those language.
i create this topic because i want to assure this is right path i choose and i want to know what is best option for me in next step so i create this topic and hope someone help me to figure out. and lack my information in Game Development issue Because of my country.

Oh thanks BaneTrapper for your Mean post.oh i'm sorry for waste your precious time and im so sorry of all gamers In World becuase i take time of DAVID CAGE.
[/quote]

Sorry, I'm now confused by what you're saying. So you don't have experience in those other languages? Have you read the stickies in these forums? In all honesty you can't ask people to help you if you haven't at least done some groundwork yourself. Re-visit this post after you understand why you are going to use C++ to make games and then we can send you in the right direction. Here's a checklist for you:-

- I will use C++ to make games because......

- I can make games using only C++ Y/N? Elaborate.........

- I can name the pros and cons of using C++ for game programming......

- When comparing C++ to other languages such as Java/C# & XNA/Python Pygame etc etc I stand by my decision to use C++

I appreciate English isn't your first language but you're going to have to do some reading to understand some principals that will help you make some learning decisions. Also, truth be told, don't ponder on choosing a language for too long at the expense of actually making your first few games like tic tac toe,pong, breakout etc.
Please Add Rep if I helped // Working on untitled 2D platformer (more to come soon)
Twitter - @MarkPashby
If i didn't help the unskilled, id be shameful to help skilled.
If you desire to learn c++ from beginning here's a good staring series on c++ :

If you desire to learn game development i suggest use some "Application Programming Interface" aka "API" for c++. On this subject id suggest "SFML"www.sfml-dev.org/ SFML tutorial
or "SDL" www.libsdl.org/ SDL tutorial

And with good "API" here are some walkthroughs of people making games :
A sfml platformer TAKE NOTE i did not watch this tutorial and i don't have idea is it any good

A SDL simple pong game I approve of this tutorial series, if you can bear with his voice that is

And try googling, its faster and more fun.

With utmost regards, BaneTrapper.
Thanks pash and Bane.
i try to answer those question pash asked before. And after the find answer i saw all of you guys had discussion about choose C++ and C#(or other language). and most choose C# because is so easy to work with it and learn for beginner. I can't find any topic for give right Direction to Amateur like me.all topic just said you have to learn any language and then you can make game. None of them tell exactly after finish the for example C# you can go to XNA for instance. Or after you learn C++ what you have done next? So all Beginner(like me)is so confused about all of them and saw everyone worked with C++ so he decide to do that completely Blind. I think is better for me to back to C# and work with XNA for a while and make some simple game have some exp and then back to C++ and continue.
what do you think guys? You think this is right choice for me?
Pick one and stick with it until you can make games with it. Once you're comfortable enough then you can pick up another one.

You have to decide for yourself where to start. Nobody here is going to give you a test and check your score. You have to decide what you want and then do what it takes to get it. If you're not willing to research the differences then just pick one at random.

Frankly, if you get overwhelmed by the presence of too many choices then you're going to have trouble no matter what you pick. You need to get past that or it's going to be a continual problem for you, both in life and in programming.

[quote name='Hagakure (The Way of the Samurai)']In the words of the ancients, one should make his decisions within the space of seven breaths. Lord Takandobu said, “If discrimination is long, it will spoil.” Lord Naoshige said, “When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten will turn out badly. A warrior is a person who does things quickly.
When your mind is going hither and thither, discrimination will never be brought to a conclusion. With an intense, fresh and undelaying spirit, one will make his judgments within the space of seven breaths. It is a matter of being determined and having the spirit to break right through to the other side.[/quote]
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks pash and Bane.
i try to answer those question pash asked before. And after the find answer i saw all of you guys had discussion about choose C++ and C#(or other language). and most choose C# because is so easy to work with it and learn for beginner. I can't find any topic for give right Direction to Amateur like me.all topic just said you have to learn any language and then you can make game. None of them tell exactly after finish the for example C# you can go to XNA for instance. Or after you learn C++ what you have done next? So all Beginner(like me)is so confused about all of them and saw everyone worked with C++ so he decide to do that completely Blind. I think is better for me to back to C# and work with XNA for a while and make some simple game have some exp and then back to C++ and continue.
what do you think guys? You think this is right choice for me?

Just go with C# XNA its allot easier and simpler, and switching between languages is just syntax change.
Most important thing is to FINISH PROJECTS!, I cant describe how important this is.
You should start with text based game, then when you feel more comfortable add graphics to you already made text game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement