Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SamiHuutoniemi

DX11
Create sprites from tilesets

3 posts in this topic

Hello!

So if I in DirectX 11 want to create a sprite from an image file, comprising of a number of sprites - is this the way to go?

1) Create a temporary texture from the file. (i.e. D3DX11CreateTextureFromFile)
2) Somehow create a blank texture
3) Copy a region of the temporary texture to the blank one (i.e. CopySubresourceRegion)
4) Create a shader resource view from the no longer blank texture (i.e. CreateShaderResourceView)

Or how would you do it? (If like this - how do I in the simplest way create a blank texture?)

Thanks!

2 : You can create a file without binding any subdata to it. Think it´s D3D11CreateTexture (or something similar)

And if you want sprite, you can just copy the subregion directly to the framebuffer. so you can skip som steps.

[quote name='Tordin' timestamp='1352815517' post='5000573']
2 : You can create a file without binding any subdata to it. Think it´s D3D11CreateTexture (or something similar)

And if you want sprite, you can just copy the subregion directly to the framebuffer. so you can skip som steps.
[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the first part. I dont want to create a file. I want to create a blank texture onto which i can copy a subregion of a bigger texture. Can this be done? =)

And yes. I would think that the it's very possible to use the second method. However, I'd prefer to save only the relevant texture data in any one sprite object, and thus not the whole original tileset and rectangle data. But if I must do this, how do I render part of a shader resource view? Right now I pretty much just plug it into the pixelshader and then draw. Any hints?

when you load a image from the hard drive, you get out an ID3D11Texture pointer (or if it was, shaderresource or shaderview) and the thing that happens is that dxgi helps you load your texture and then put that data into that texture pointer you get out. you can do this by your self and by pointing to a texture in memory.

as you see with this function (in the webpage) it takes a D3D11_SUBRESOURCE_DATA which points to some texture memory.
[url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476521(v=vs.85).aspx[/url]

i think that webpage got what you are looking for aswell!

you can call the CopySubresourceRegion when you got the atlas, to "Scissor" out specific parts of the atlas to the framebuffer.
[url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476394(v=vs.85).aspx[/url] Edited by Tordin

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Enitalp
      Hi all.
      I have a direct2d1 application with all my UI. And now i'm trying to insert 3d rendering in my UI. I tried a lot of thing as i'm new to that. and failed....
      So my UI contain a control that is a 3d render. so stupidly i was thinking of making a 3d rendertarget, get the bitmap of that. and draw it at the place of my control.
      So i created this function
      public Bitmap1 CreateTarget(int i_Width, int i_Height) { Texture2DDescription l_Description = new Texture2DDescription(); l_Description.BindFlags = BindFlags.RenderTarget; l_Description.Format = m_BackBuffer.Description.Format; l_Description.Width = i_Width; l_Description.Height = i_Height; l_Description.Usage = ResourceUsage.Default; l_Description.ArraySize = 1; l_Description.MipLevels = 1; l_Description.SampleDescription = new SampleDescription(1, 0); l_Description.CpuAccessFlags = CpuAccessFlags.None; l_Description.OptionFlags = ResourceOptionFlags.None; Texture2D l_RenderTarget = new Texture2D(m_Device, l_Description); BitmapProperties1 properties = new BitmapProperties1() { PixelFormat = new PixelFormat(l_Description.Format, SharpDX.Direct2D1.AlphaMode.Premultiplied), BitmapOptions = BitmapOptions.Target, DpiX=96, DpiY = 96 }; Bitmap1 m_OffscreenBitmap; using (Surface l_Surface = l_RenderTarget.QueryInterface<Surface>()) { m_OffscreenBitmap = new Bitmap1(m_2DContext, l_Surface, properties); } return m_OffscreenBitmap; }  
      And my control does a simple :
      if (m_OldSize != Size) { m_OldSize = Size; if (m_OffscreenBitmap != null) { m_OffscreenBitmap.Dispose(); } m_OffscreenBitmap = i_Param.CurrentWindow.CreateTarget(Size.Width, Size.Height); } i_Context.DrawContext2D.DrawBitmap(m_OffscreenBitmap, m_Rect, 1.0f, BitmapInterpolationMode.Linear);  
      Here is my problem, if BitmapOptions is different from BitmapOptions = BitmapOptions.Target | BitmapOptions.CannotDraw
      i crash when creating my new Bitmap1 because of invalid params.
      and if i let it, i crash at present because :
      Additional information: HRESULT: [0x88990021], Module: [SharpDX.Direct2D1], ApiCode: [D2DERR_BITMAP_CANNOT_DRAW/BitmapCannotDraw], Message: Impossible de dessiner avec une bitmap qui a l’option D2D1_BITMAP_OPTIONS_CANNOT_DRAW.

I must admit i'm out of idea. and i'm stuck. Please help.
      Does my method is totally wrong ?
      I tried to make my control owning is own 3d device so i can render that at a different pace than the 2d and did get the same result

• By ErnieDingo
      Before you read, apologies for the wall of text!  
      I'm looking to leverage efficiencies in DirectX 11 calls, to improve performance and throughput of my game.  I have a number of bad decisions I am going to remedy, but before I do, I am just wanting to get input into I should put effort into doing these.
      I've been running for a while with a high frame rate in my game, but as I add assets, its obviously dipping (its a bit of an n squared issue).  I'm fully aware of the current architecture, and I'm looking to take care of some severe vertex buffer thrashing i'm doing at the moment. 
      Keep in mind, the game engine has evolved over the past year so some decisions made at that time in hindsight are considered bad, but were logical at the time.
      The scenarios:
      Current: my game world is broken up by quad tree.  I'm rendering the terrain geometry and water geometry separately and in different vertex buffers.   Currently I am using Raw Draw Calls which means that I am very wasteful on computational power.  
      Goal: Use Index buffers to reduce vertices by 80%, compress my index buffers and vertex buffers into one index buffer and vertex buffer.  I can't reduce the number of draw calls as its per leaf.
      Current: Static assets such as trees etc are bound to each leaf of my quad tree, as I traverse the tree to see whats in view/out of view, I trim the leaf which in turn trims all the static assets.  This means there is an instance buffer for each node AND for each mesh.  
      Goal: Compress the instance Buffers into one instance buffer per mesh (Ie, even if 10 meshes are in 1 vertex buffer, I need 10 instance buffers), for all meshes, compress the meshes into 1 index buffer and 1 vertex buffer.  I can not reduce the number of draw calls.
      Current: My unlimited sea function reuses the same tile mesh and just remaps with a constant buffer.  This means, if there are 10 tiles, there are 10 draw calls and 10 constant buffer updates.
      Goal: Simple, Use an instance buffer and remove the constant buffer updates (I was lazy and wanted to do this quick :)).  Reduces it to 1 draw call, 1 instance buffer bind and 1 vertex buffer bind.
      Current: Each shader, i'm rebinding the same constant buffers, these buffers only change at the start of a new scene (shadow AND rendered).  
      Goal: Create a map of buffers to be bound once per context, use consistent registers.   Combine wasteful buffer structures into 1 buffer.  Reduce number of constant changes.  More negligible for deferred contexts but still worth it.
      All these changes are not difficult as I have layered my graphics engine in such a way that it doesn't disturb the lower levels.  Ie. Instance management is not bound to mesh directly, mesh management allows for compression easily.    All static buffers are set immutable in my game, so vertex, index and most index buffers are immutable.
      So the questions: 
      - Are some or all changes worth it?  Or am I going to just suffer from draw calls?  
      - I am assuming at the moment that Setting vertex buffers, index buffers, instance buffers are part of the command buffer?  Is this correct, i'm looking to reduce the number of calls pushed through it.
      - I assume in a deferred context world, that constant buffers when set are not persistent across contexts when I execute command lists.
      - Lastly, should I look into Draw Indexed instanced indirect to accumulate draw calls?  And would I get any benefit from the GPU side doing this?

• By Zototh
      I am using slimDX and am having a problem with a shader. I have an instance Shader that works perfect but I needed one for drawing fonts manually. The idea is to create the plane and simple instance it with separate position color and texture coordinates for each char.  I know this post is terribly long but any help would be appreciated. I tried to provide everything needed but if you need more I will be glad to post it.
      This is the shader. the only difference between it and the working one is the instance texture coordinates. I was able to render 4,000 spheres with 30,000 faces with the original and still maintain a 100+ framerate. I don't know if that is a lot but it looked like it to me.
      cbuffer cbVSPerFrame:register(b0) { row_major matrix world; row_major matrix viewProj; }; Texture2D g_Tex; SamplerState g_Sampler; struct VSInstance { float4 Pos : POSITION; float3 Normal : NORMAL; float2 Texcoord : TEXCOORD0; float4 model_matrix0 : TEXCOORD1; float4 model_matrix1 : TEXCOORD2; float4 model_matrix2 : TEXCOORD3; float4 model_matrix3 : TEXCOORD4; // this is the only addition float2 instanceCoord:TEXCOORD5; float4 Color:COLOR; }; struct PSInput { float4 Pos : SV_Position; float3 Normal : NORMAL; float4 Color:COLOR; float2 Texcoord : TEXCOORD0; }; PSInput Instancing(VSInstance In) { PSInput Out; // construct the model matrix row_major float4x4 modelMatrix = { In.model_matrix0, In.model_matrix1, In.model_matrix2, In.model_matrix3 }; Out.Normal = mul(In.Normal, (row_major float3x3)modelMatrix); float4 WorldPos = mul(In.Pos, modelMatrix); Out.Pos = mul(WorldPos, viewProj); Out.Texcoord = In.instanceCoord; Out.Color = In.Color; return Out; } float4 PS(PSInput In) : SV_Target { return g_Tex.Sample(g_Sampler, In.Texcoord); } technique11 HWInstancing { pass P0 { SetGeometryShader(0); SetVertexShader(CompileShader(vs_4_0, Instancing())); SetPixelShader(CompileShader(ps_4_0, PS())); } } this is the input elements for the 2 buffers
      private static readonly InputElement[] TextInstance = { new InputElement("POSITION", 0, Format.R32G32B32_Float, 0, 0, InputClassification.PerVertexData, 0), new InputElement("NORMAL", 0, Format.R32G32B32_Float, InputElement.AppendAligned, 0, InputClassification.PerVertexData, 0), new InputElement("TEXCOORD", 0, Format.R32G32_Float, InputElement.AppendAligned, 0, InputClassification.PerVertexData, 0), new InputElement("TEXCOORD", 1, Format.R32G32B32A32_Float, 0, 1, InputClassification.PerInstanceData, 1 ), new InputElement("TEXCOORD", 2, Format.R32G32B32A32_Float, InputElement.AppendAligned, 1, InputClassification.PerInstanceData, 1 ), new InputElement("TEXCOORD", 3, Format.R32G32B32A32_Float, InputElement.AppendAligned, 1, InputClassification.PerInstanceData, 1 ), new InputElement("TEXCOORD", 4, Format.R32G32B32A32_Float, InputElement.AppendAligned, 1, InputClassification.PerInstanceData, 1 ), new InputElement("TEXCOORD", 5, Format.R32G32_Float, InputElement.AppendAligned, 1, InputClassification.PerInstanceData, 1 ), new InputElement("COLOR", 0, Format.R32G32B32A32_Float, InputElement.AppendAligned, 1, InputClassification.PerInstanceData, 1 ) }; the struct for holding instance data. 
      [StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)] public struct InstancedText { public Matrix InstancePosition; public Vector2 InstanceCoords; public Color4 Color; }; instanceData buffer creation. Instance Positions is a simple List<InstancedText> above
      DataStream ds = new DataStream(InstancePositions.ToArray(), true, true); BufferDescription vbDesc = new BufferDescription(); vbDesc.BindFlags = BindFlags.VertexBuffer; vbDesc.CpuAccessFlags = CpuAccessFlags.None; vbDesc.OptionFlags = ResourceOptionFlags.None; vbDesc.Usage = ResourceUsage.Default; vbDesc.SizeInBytes = InstancePositions.Count * Marshal.SizeOf<InstancedText>(); vbDesc.StructureByteStride = Marshal.SizeOf<InstancedText>(); ds.Position = 0; instanceData = new Buffer(renderer.Device, vbDesc);  
      and finally the render code.
      the mesh is a model class that contains the plane's data. PositionNormalTexture is just a struct for those elements.
      renderer.Context.InputAssembler.InputLayout = new InputLayout(renderer.Device, effect.GetTechniqueByName("HWInstancing").GetPassByIndex(0).Description.Signature, TextInstance); renderer.Context.InputAssembler.PrimitiveTopology = PrimitiveTopology.TriangleList; renderer.Context.InputAssembler.SetVertexBuffers(0, new VertexBufferBinding(mesh.VertexBuffer, Marshal.SizeOf<PositionNormalTexture>(), 0)); renderer.Context.InputAssembler.SetIndexBuffer(mesh.IndexBuffer, SlimDX.DXGI.Format.R32_UInt, 0); renderer.Context.InputAssembler.SetVertexBuffers(1, new VertexBufferBinding(instanceData, Marshal.SizeOf<InstancedText>(), 0)); effect.GetVariableByName("g_Tex").AsResource().SetResource(textures[fonts[name].Name]); EffectTechnique currentTechnique = effect.GetTechniqueByName("HWInstancing"); for (int pass = 0; pass < currentTechnique.Description.PassCount; ++pass) { EffectPass Pass = currentTechnique.GetPassByIndex(pass); System.Diagnostics.Debug.Assert(Pass.IsValid, "Invalid EffectPass"); Pass.Apply(renderer.Context); renderer.Context.DrawIndexedInstanced(mesh.IndexCount, InstancePositions.Count, 0, 0, 0); }; I have been over everything I can think of to find the problem but I can't seem to locate it.
      my best guess is the instance data buffer is wrong somehow since VS graphics debugger shows no output from vertex shader stage
       but I just can't see where.
    • By Jordy
      I'm copying mipmaps of a BC3 compressed texture region to a new (and bigger) BC3 compressed texture with ID3D11DeviceContext::CopySubresourceRegion.
      Unfortunately the new texture contains incorrect mipmaps when the width or height of a mipmap level are unaligned to the block size, which is 4 in the case of BC3.
      I think this has to do with the virtual and physical size of a mipmap level for block compressed textures: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb694531(v=vs.85).aspx#Virtual_Size
      There is also a warning:
      I don't know how to account for the physical memory size and if that's possible when using ID3D11DeviceContext::CopySubresourceRegion.
      Is it possible, and if so, how?
    • By thefoxbard
      From what the MSDN states, there are two ways of compiling HLSL shaders: either at runtime or "offline" -- using a tool like fxc.exe, for instance
      My question is, are there any risks in using pre-compiled shaders in the final game? I mean, is there any situation in which the pre-compiled shaders might not work?
      Or ideally shaders should always be compiled when lauching the game?