SDK For Android

Started by
11 comments, last by eng3d 11 years, 5 months ago

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Hi all,[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]I am trying to develop a game for Android phones . Right now , I am using Eclipse IDE with Android SDK installed . Meanwhile I came to know that there are tools like GAMEMAKER , Unity that can port the games directly to Android . So Can u guys suggest a tool / IDE that would be best suitable for developing a game for android?? [/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]And I am not an expert in game design . Please suggest any better way of performing game design with ease ? [/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Thanks[/font]

Advertisement
Ah! Please use the default font...

Depends on how familiar you are with Android. Note that nothing in Android-land is geared towards beginners. If you're a beginner at programming, you're going to have quite a difficult time in Android. But, if you're already a competent programmer or are a glutton for punishment, and you really want to target Android, I would seriously suggest not using GameMaker or Unity. Why? Because you need to understand how Android works if you're ever going to make a proper application/game for it, and GameMaker and Unity will hide details that I think are important to learn.

If you don't care about learning how Android really works, then I'd suggest not targeting it at all. Note that I'm not saying you need to be an expert in Android. But you should have a basic understanding of how Android works if you're ever going to be an effective Android developer.

So I would suggest first making a (very) simple (but polished) game with just the Android SDK, just to properly learn how Android works. After you are comfortable with Android programming, then you can feel free to branch out and explore options like GameMaker and Unity. But taking these "shortcuts" right now will deprive you of knowledge you seriously need to have.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
I too am working on a game for android and using the game engine: Gameplay 3D. I don't think it's very well known, but it's a very useful tool because it's cross-platform. That way you only need to write the code once and then compile it according to the platform you are developing for.

Since you want to develop for android you'll have to setup android's SDK and NDK. For more information, visit their website: http://gameplay3d.org/

Aluthreney -- the King of sheep.

Ah! Please use the default font...

[color=#0000ff]Shouldn't the font selection drop down have the undesirable fonts removed from the list?
I don't know if this is helpful, but I am a newbie too and went through a game engine vetting process.
I've posted that here: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/633920-wiengine-a-lesser-known-wonderful-cross-platform-2d-game-engine/

If you are new your going to want a lot of examples. WiEngine comes complete with 20,000 lines of java examples and 20,000 lines of c++ examples not including header files.

I can attest to the stability of the engine as I have working production in google play using it.
I am learning Android Game programming and currently using Eclipse IDE with Android Plugin . Jus wanted to know if there are IDE's better than this .

I am learning Android Game programming and currently using Eclipse IDE with Android Plugin . Jus wanted to know if there are IDE's better than this .

What you asked about (GameMaker, Unity) are not really IDEs, per se, but more like full game engines. An IDE comparison is more like Eclipse vs Netbeans vs Emacs (some may disagree). As far as pure IDE, Eclipse is certainly the best for Android development because the Android team has all their tools and plugins set up for it.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
@Cornstalks : Thanks :) Got It . Can we install Android in Netbeans as well?
Android plugins from google only work with eclipse IDE. There may be other frameworks I am unaware of that work with netbeans but to my knowledge I don't think oracle will would like that.

Well somebody's working on one... http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/19545/nbandroid
Personally for your first project you should become familiar with google's set of eclipse plugins.

There may be other frameworks I am unaware of that work with netbeans but to my knowledge I don't think oracle will would like that.

What does Oracle have to do with any of this?

@Cornstalks : Thanks :) Got It . Can we install Android in Netbeans as well?

You don't really have to use Eclipse when developing for Android, but your life will be a living hell if you don't really, really, really know what you're doing. Just use Eclipse. Everyone else does specifically because it's a good idea. You're free to download the Android SDK and try to shovel it into any IDE/workflow you want, but a) it's going to be quite difficult and b) there really isn't a good reason to not use Eclipse. Heck, you can build for Android from the command line if you want. But again, why would you?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement