Interesting (retro)games to remake and upgrade?

Started by
4 comments, last by Heath 11 years, 5 months ago
Hello all,

My name is Aart Stuurman. I study gametechnology at the university of Utrecht.
The course I am following now is an introduction project in which we will choose a retro game(or at least a relatively simple game),
which we then remake and in which we implement new technology(as motion tracking/voice recognition) or upgrade things as artificial intelligence.
I find this a very interesting project and I think it has much potential, but the problem is: which game to choose?
The game must have things that can be upgraded, or it must be logical to implement this 'new' technology.

So my question is: Which (retro)games do you find interesting to remake and upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Aart
Advertisement
After a quick google search, I found a website with "95 Old School Games You Can Play Online." I think this will be helpful to you in finding a game, because you will be able to play the game, and get a better feel for how the game works. http://amog.com/tech/gaming/oldschool-videogames/

In my opinion, the game that you pick, should be entirely up to you. I get burnt out a lot faster when I work on an idea that "someone else thought was cool" rather than something I actually wanted to work on. You should look through lists, play a few of the games, and then decide.

Also, any game has room for upgrades, and new things to be implemented. There is not a single perfect game out there that has "everything".
While you're searching for a game just keep asking yourself, "What is this game missing?" or "How could I improve this game?"

Hope that helps, and best of luck to you!
I keep this link in my bookmarks for ideas for games to clone, most of which are retro-style.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Thanks guys! Both those links are wonderful. I will show them to my project members and I'm sure we'll find a cool one.
Hello, Aart

Really any retro game has much potential to be upgraded. Here is a list to consider:

Tic-Tac-Toe (Don't laugh anybody because there are many things which can be added to it, such as to answer a question correctly before placing an O or X, score keeping, AI, two-player option, 3D board, and so forth.)

Pong
Tetris
Space Invaders
Pac Man
Defender
Asteroids
Galaxy
Mario Brothers

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I think it's interesting to compare games you love to previous games that probably inspired them. The Legend of Zelda, for instance, could be viewed as a really big, graphical expansion on Adventure, and Adventure is a graphical game inspired by text adventures. Zelda did not have the same hardware limitations as Adventure, and both had to make use of what limitations they did have.

And in that sense, you come to realize that of course, there is always room for improvement, but you might first need to appreciate why things were done the way that they were.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement