UML modeling engines available?

Started by
5 comments, last by Shannon Barber 11 years, 4 months ago
Hi,

I am thinking of writing a small custom state machine modeling tool for my game engine. Right now I am using an open source UML tool to generate scripts that my engine can read, but it's farily buggy and I have a few ideas that would fit nicely into the tool.

However, building everything from scratch would be quite the task. I am wondering if there are any UML-like "modeling engines" available, preferably for C# but other languages are cool too. Something that would allow me to create things like states, transitions and properties for them, as well as render them on the screen. I have not heard of something like this, but as there are CAD-components that can just be dropped onto a winform and used to open and draw CAD-files, I thought I would ask before doing it all myself.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Right now I am using an open source UML tool

Well, isn't that your answer ?
Nevertheless, you can although take a look at the eclipse modelling framework (not IDE), it is java and should have some advanced components which supports diagrams.
I thought about modifying the existing tool. However, there are a few problems:

1. It's very old and build with out-of-date frameworks.
2. It's quite buggy, and I have no interest in spending time fixing those.
3. It has a load of features that I don't need.

I would much rather build a minimal modeling tool right now, one that I could add features to as needed without having to worry about old stuff getting broken etc.

I have thought about the tools in Eclipse and Netbeans as well, but those are also very heavy weight, and I only have use for simple flow chart/FSM modeling.

Thanks anyway!
Check out the following project:
0. Fizzim.
Thanks. That seems handy but I am really looking for components and not full products. There is also the State Machine Compiler at http://smc.sourceforge.net/ which I have used in the past.
Just for inspiration...
I want to build such by myself. I will write it as a win32 custom control (Crafting a VLSI cad tool...).
Check out Enterprise Architect.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement