Can mobile phone create game as server

Started by
5 comments, last by frob 11 years, 5 months ago
Can mobile phone create game as server on LAN and pc can connect ?
my map aplications http://haritaaraci.com
Advertisement
If there's a general purpose socket library available for your mobile phone platform, then probably, yes.

I seem to remember doing this when testing an IOS game, but that was many OS updates ago, (before game centre). Perhaps someone else has tried it more recently.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, except for testing/debugging purposes.
also can mobile phones connect each other with wireless ?
my map aplications http://haritaaraci.com

also can mobile phones connect each other with wireless ?
Yes. Many games have co-op play, and you can even run a Minecraft mobile server.
Bluetooth and wifi are both fine for mobiles connecting to each other although are both handset dependent Some mobile phones cannot act as a wifi host for instance so cannot have other devices connecting or may have other similar restrictions. Bluetooth suffers from the same. Many mobile devices can only maintain a single bluetooth pairing or wifi connection at a time which will further limit you. On devices not effected then yes you can host multiplayer but generally a PC has more resources for this task.
It should work fine, until you switch to another app. On iPhone at least, background processes are restricted to preserve battery life and responsiveness.

If you really want to try and make it work, you might to pretend to be a VOIP or music app. Here's a good place to start your research on that. Otherwise, you could just require your users to leave the app in the foreground at all times.

Good luck!
In Android you can keep running network services in the background, assuming you set your app up properly.

That being said, you will still face potential issues with NAT and other connectivity. Mobile providers sometimes don't like you running publicly-visible servers and may block incoming connections across their network.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement