Impotant! Books to start learning video game programming ! I need it FAST!

Started by
30 comments, last by SimonForsman 11 years, 4 months ago
Guys, I want to know the books for learning Video game programming. I know three books

1. Game Coding Complete (4th edition) :
  2. Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics, Third Edition :
  3. Game Engine Architucture

I need more books which are good and easy to understand, i am still not a good programmer yet. I am learning the basic of C++ and C#. I am good in programming vb. My aim is to program a game myself and then turn it into a game engine. Right now i want to learn so i am asking some suggestions, Please reply and also link the books to amazon or any other sites if they sell the books there. smile.png tongue.png biggrin.png

Please guys help mewacko.png wacko.png , i am just 13 rolleyes.gif , have much to learn before starting tongue.png .
Thanks in Advancebiggrin.png

If you would like to help me privately contact me, Send a email to my email address, click here to get my email address. I want to stop spamph34r.png so i added it to reCAPTCHA biggrin.png cool.png .
Advertisement
If you are not a good programmer then you might want to get books that teach the languages themselves, not game architecture.

edit:
To other readers, please don't downvote beginner questions. It frightens them into not wanting to ask questions.
You need it fast? Like it should be propelled in some fashion?

I guess I could build some form of catapult. There is that tree in the back yard I still need to limb.

(Did you try searching by category on Amazon?)

(btw, does anyone know if Amazon can do Dewey Decimal lookups?)
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
I am not going to hold your age against you, but I am going to tell you what I tell everybody who has started getting into game development. There is this thing called Google. I taught myself how to program without any books at the same age as you. The internet is such a great thing, there are so many resources out there (this site included) that will pretty much tell you everything you will need to know to make a game. Why do you need it so fast? Unless you are doing it for a project, patience will help you out here. You can't just learn how to program in a week, or a month, it took me two years to learn enough of programming to make anything that wasn't a clone of something else and was remotely fun. If you are set in looking for books, I would highly suggest a book about C++, not game programming. Game programming will not teach you the ins and outs of a language, you will learn a lot, but I suggest learning the language before learning game programming. Best of luck with your future endeavors! Also, if you do persist, you will find the immensely rewarding and awesome world of programming, which is amazing in its own right.
I wouldnt recommed you read those books. They are kinda advance for a beginner. Seriously, get to know your language first. If you have no foundation what will you build on?

For c++ I recommend this book
http://www.amazon.com/All---One-Desk-Reference-Dummies/dp/0470317353/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353092288&sr=1-1&keywords=c%2B%2B+for+dummies+reference

after that i recommend you read
data structures for game programmers
focus on sdl
beginning game programming
advance 2d game development

but it will be a while before you get through these
You need a good understanding of how to write decent programs, before delving into game creation.
HERE is a good ( easy to understand ) tutorial series for C++ .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

You have to think about your long-term goals. Do you want to
a) make games quickly (the goal is important),
b) learn a programming language and make a game with it (the goal and path to it are both important),
c) learn a programming language to understand how the computers work and then, maybe, start making a game one day in the distant future (the path is important)?

Look at those options and try to answer honestly. Now, let's see:
a) Use some of the "makers" available. It depends on which genre should the game be. Unity 3D is good for large-scale 3D. UDK (Unreal development kit) is good for indoor FPS games like Doom or Unreal. I've liked RPG Maker when I tried it (the target genre should be apparentsmile.png ). Game Maker is most suitable to 2D games.
b) I would suggest C# as it isn't AS (notice the capital letters) difficult as low-level languages like C++. You should be able to do "something" in 2 years.
c) ANSI C or C++ seems like a good entry point for this. You will need a lot of time and patience, but after a 5+ years, you should be able to program almost everything you wish (but be aware that the time needed to do it will still be in years).

Abandon the idea that you will be able to code a game in a short amount of time; you will fail. A game (engine) programmer should have 5+ - 10+ year experience with programming.

On the other hand, you are still young, so if you persist, you will find a new and interesting world of programming. The one where everyone bows to your every command (unless it's invalid, of course) wink.png
I am not going to hold your age against you, but I am going to tell you what I tell everybody who has started getting into game development. There is this thing called Google. I taught myself how to program without any books at the same age as you. The internet is such a great thing, there are so many resources out there (this site included) that will pretty much tell you everything you will need to know to make a game. Why do you need it so fast? Unless you are doing it for a project, patience will help you out here. You can't just learn how to program in a week, or a month, it took me two years to learn enough of programming to make anything that wasn't a clone of something else and was remotely fun. If you are set in looking for books, I would highly suggest a book about C++, not game programming. Game programming will not teach you the ins and outs of a language, you will learn a lot, but I suggest learning the language before learning game programming. Best of luck with your future endeavors! Also, if you do persist, you will find the immensely rewarding and awesome world of programming, which is amazing in its own right.

If you are not a good programmer then you might want to get books that teach the languages themselves, not game architecture. edit: To other readers, please don't downvote beginner questions. It frightens them into not wanting to ask questions.

So can you say whether this book is good.

I wouldnt recommed you read those books. They are kinda advance for a beginner. Seriously, get to know your language first. If you have no foundation what will you build on?

For c++ I recommend this book
http://www.amazon.co...mmies reference

after that i recommend you read
data structures for game programmers
focus on sdl
beginning game programming
advance 2d game development

but it will be a while before you get through these

Thanks i will try reading the book tooo.

You need it fast? Like it should be propelled in some fashion? ... I guess I could build some form of catapult. There is that tree in the back yard I still need to limb. (Did you try searching by category on Amazon?) (btw, does anyone know if Amazon can do Dewey Decimal lookups?)

There is this thing called Google.

I searched amazon and google but there are many books and i culdn't choose the best one. In google there are many advises like last time I asked a question how to create , so i a game engine and some said create a game engine and some said just program a game, so i am just confused in that things
Make a game not a engine. But even before making a game just program anything. Game programming is generally considered a more advanced subset of general programming.

I am 17 but when I started programming (around your age) I messed around with WinForms in VB.net then did the same in C#, I created auto clickers/typers by googling on how to do such things. Only at the beginning of this year I bought 2 books. I haven't even started on the 3D side of graphics programming yet, you don't need to rush smile.png

Make a game not a engine. But even before making a game just program anything. Game programming is generally considered a more advanced subset of general programming.

I am 17 but when I started programming (around your age) I messed around with WinForms in VB.net then did the same in C#, I created auto clickers/typers by googling on how to do such things. Only at the beginning of this year I bought 2 books. I haven't even started on the 3D side of graphics programming yet, you don't need to rush smile.png

Thanks, i won't do it fast as many as advised me to first start with normal programming, for now i am just going to learn programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement