floatingwoods

How to initialize std::vector with array data without internal copy operation

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have an array of float data, say:

const float myArray[5]={1.0f,2.0f,3.0f,4.0f,5.0f};

I now want to "connect" that data to following vector:

const std::vector<float> myVector

I don't want any data to be copied internally. Can I do that?

Thanks!

An [i]std::vector[/i] assumes ownership of the data and cannot be used to refer to an external buffer. Why do you need the array as an [i]std::vector[/i] if you already have it in the array?

Thanks for the quick reply Brother Bob!

I have a collection of functions that expect const vectors as arguments. Instead of rewriting the interfaces for those functions, I thought it would be faster if I can "connect" the buffer to a vector and still use the same functions.

Cheers

Is there a way to prevent the data from ever being an array, and just to create it in place in the vector? That way you can avoid copying.

If possible, functions should be templates written in terms of iterators rather than directly taking standard containers. This is flexible, because pointers are a type of iterator too. Edited by rip-off

I think the Kosher way to do this is with a (very) custom allocator that just happens to always return the address of your array and blows-off the free. Edited by Shannon Barber

Vector semantics require that it copy the objects you insert, regardless of how the allocator is implemented. And if you never insert anything, it would always appear/behave empty and not be of much use to anyone.