A Good game development related gift idea..?

Started by
12 comments, last by ManuelMarino 11 years, 4 months ago
Hi guys,
This is probably a bit off topic but I need help with a gift idea and I dont know where else to ask smile.png
My boyfriend is interested in game development - he loves reading about it, watching movies about it (the movie about Meatboy etc.). He is a programmer (he doesn't program games though) so he is more into the technical stuff - engines etc. He has subscription to gdmag but is there anything else (a book, good e-course...) that you could recommend for someone like him? I need to figure out some Christmas present and I know almost nothing about these things but I am sure he would really appreciate a present related to game dev. smile.png
So pleaaase if you have any tips... share.
Thank you,
T.
Advertisement
Any particular price range you're looking for?
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Up too 300$. Maybe a bit more if it would be really worth it.
Maybe some game design books would fit his personality? Not being specifically development focused, you can neatly avoid accidentally getting books or software focused to a programming language he doesn't know.

A Theory of Fun is supposed to be good, and the game design lense book has gotten decent reviews.
And you then have $250 left over for more important things ([size=2]the [size=2]personal preferences of your boyfriend may vary).
There are so many topics it is too easy to get books that are good, yet not of value to him. I know I've received several books like that over the years. Good books, just not for me, causing me to go through the hassle of returning them assuming they left a receipt in the book.

I know it is more sentimental to get a physical object, but when it comes to software development books it is easier to stick with an amazon gift card with a nice handwritten note.
You could get him a GDC vault subscription. I can't remember how much it is, but that's probably a better resource than most other things I can think of that aren't free.
Team $300 worth of jelly beans biggrin.png

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

What about a gdmag subscription?
Could he be interested in one of those small programmable computers like rasberry pi and whatever there are? Not necessarily game developement related but people seem to want them for some reason... >_>

o3o

Thank you guys for helping! :)

Jellybeans - well that would definitely be a surprise :D

I will look into the books, but you are right that is hard to guess which he would be really interested in. The books Servant of the Lord mentioned actually sound interesting to me :) but I am afraid it is not technical enough for him.

He already has Raspberry Pi and Arduino - he took some robotic e-courses so he was really into that one time.

The GDC vault subscription might be interesting.

Is there any good online course on game development you know about..? I think he is more into the technical stuff - he keeps showing me vids of what various engines can do :). I dont thing he would be interested in game theory, story design etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement