Difference between SDL and GLUT?

Started by
3 comments, last by Dauntless 22 years, 6 months ago
I know that SDL is sort of like the access layer to initialize control devices and a few other things, but does it handle graphics as well? I''m confused because I was browsing Programming for Linux Games, and saw a chapter about using SDL instead of GLUT. How exactly would that work since I thought SDL didn''t do any graphics work?
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
Advertisement
SDL DOES do graphics work. Or , more accurately, it is an abstraction layer for Xlib, DirectX, etc depending on what you target it to. SDL is a replacement for GLUT, and I would recommend it. (Though, it is not , from what I gather, a drop-in replacement.)

Magnwa
Is SDL for Windows? And are there any Windows tutorials/books on it?
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Yeah, SDL also works in Windows. There are probably some tutorials on it at the SDL web site.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
SDL works in windows, Mac OS, and PlayStation 2 (although I think you need ps2linux, not sure)
but you wont find many (if at all) tutorials and books on "SDL for Windows", it is more targeted towards the Linux market, its good if you want (semi) instant portability from Linux to Windows, but I would definitely recomend learning DirectX first, because, DirectX is so phreaking complicated compared to SDL, that porting from Windows DirectX to Linux SDL is almost painless, I have to say, SDL is sweet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement