Sign in to follow this  
Gearslayer360

Is C# with XNA Good?

Gearslayer360    393
Hello all. I have been doing programming for a while and was thinking of trying out C# with XNA for making games. So far I've been doing all my work with Java and I was wondering if there are any advantages to making the switch to C#. I keep hearing a lot of good things about C# and XNA, but is it any easier to get things done with that than in Java? For me my main problem is working with graphics as I'm not a good artist and I don't really know how to make art. So far I've been limited to what I can draw with basic shapes. If I was to stick to Java could someone give me a recommendation on how to make a decent 2D game with more than basic art? Thanks

Gearslayer360    393
Thanks for the reply. It kind of answers my question but I guess I also want to know is it more productive to use C# and XNA. Is the community better and is there more documentation available, or tutorials. Is it better for making games with than just Java with the standard libraries? And just how easy it is to get things done with as compared to Java? I appreciate all replies. Thanks

3Ddreamer    3826
Hi,

Both languages have huge repositories of libraries and large communities. Both languages, the common development environments used for them, and the games being made are also very extensive. Great and popular games are made in C# or Java.

Having Java experience, I recommend that you stay with Java at least until you get a bunch of games well made and polished - simple ones to start. You will never outgrow either language, but you might choose any language based on other considerations such as it being the one used in a particular game community which you want to join.

Clinton

Daaark    3553
Pixeling 101
http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/

Language doesn't matter. There is LibGDX for Java. Try out the TIGSource forums to see what other people are doing with Java.

Gearslayer360    393
@3Ddreamer Thanks for the reply as well. I looked at the website for C#/XNA and the amount of content available is amazing. So many helpful tutorials and things to help beginners. I think that definitely has a larger community than anything I've seen for Java, so I think I want to experiment with that. Thanks again

3Ddreamer    3826
Gearslayer360,

Though I hoped that you would stay with Java, I understand the appeal of a huge community and much support surrounding XNA. Game developers are finding ways of using MonoDevelop/Mono or SharpDX with XNA. These software environments would not only help you in learning stages but also for advanced game development in the future. Both of these areas have good platform and support technology so you could potentially stay in those game development environments for all your technical needs. Huge advantages go to MonoDevelop/Mono for support of GUI, sound, input, and so forth, in cross-platform potential. SharpDX is compatible with various Windows and DirectX versions even the latest. If you research these issues as I have, you will discover that XNA and other C# development environments are competitive to allow you to go from newbie to AAA game developer if you can make it. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

Clinton