Just starting out in the programming world. Lost and need help.

Started by
3 comments, last by Rasheed Mehrinfar 11 years, 5 months ago
Hey guys,

I'm a 15-year-old looking to enter the world of programming... but problem is... I have no idea where to start...
Ideally, I'd like to start learning a language that is good for beginners, but also powerful to make games. I've heard C++ is a viable option but wanted some advice from some more experienced programmers.

My dream has always been to work in the gaming industry, specifically working with an MMORPG. I'm aware that this is still a long away, but I'm willing to give as much time as I need to, to begin the journey towards this goal.

Basically, I need some advice on which language to begin with (powerful + widely used), and any recommendations of which books to read, or websites to visit that could possibly help me. Heck, even if someone is up to mentoring me I would be down for that.

Thanks
Rasheed Mehrinfar
Advertisement
This link is a good starting place for more information.

Any language you pick will be fine for making games. It's a decision that a lot of people worry about, but it truly is not that important. I like C#, I've found it to be easy to learn and very flexible. Other people recommend Python as good for beginners, and Java is popular as well. But if you have any strong feelings towards some particular language, you don't have to worry about it not meeting your needs.

Regardless of what language you choose and what books you read, remember that you won't be able to develop your skills very far by just following written instructions. You need to branch out and experiment on your own as you learn more about how to use the language you've chosen.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

In addition to what Khaiy has said, once you choose a language*, you need to stick with it for several years. Don't bounce from language to language. Don't think that you've "learned" the language because you spent three months and "know the basics". Stick with it. Read tutorials, experiment, then create.

After going through several tutorials, and after playing around a little, then actually start a *[size=2]very very very very very* small project. Then another small project, and another, and another. You learn by a mixture of reading and doing.

For myself, I found it helpful to learn with:

• Multiple different tutorials online, to get different viewpoints
  • A good solid physical book, as your primary "tutorial" you follow.
  • A thinner "reference" book, to bounce over to when you don't understand something.
  • The knowledge of how to google intelligently.
  • An understanding of how to ask smart questions when you can't find it on google.
  • A great forum to ask the smart questions on.

*[size=2]I use C++, but I wouldn't recommend it, and I suggest you start with Python instead, or go with Khaiy's C# suggestion.
Starting with C#, Java, or Python will be more beneficial to you. You'll be able to worry about making your game instead of worrying about basic tasks like memory management and pointers.
Thanks for all your suggestions and advice! Using this I've decided to start learning Python as my primary (and first) language.

Best of luck to you all,
Rasheed Mehrinfar.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement