Quick stupid question: name of score only items in games?

Started by
6 comments, last by Gavin Williams 11 years, 5 months ago
Theres any name for score only items, like sonic rings or mario coins? Like there are "power up" items, how do I refer to score items? Any know name convention? I cant remember anything right now..
Advertisement
If think about it, though, rings and coins are technically power-ups because they increase your lives.

Looking through some old game manuals I found on replacementdocs.com, truly score-only constantly appear under a section called "Items."

Here's the manual for "Nights in Dreams." (PDF) Notice star chips, rings, and power loop on page 8.
Here's the manual for "Aero the Acrobat." Notice food items on page 12.

If think about it, though, rings and coins are technically power-ups because they increase your lives.

Looking through some old game manuals I found on replacementdocs.com, truly score-only constantly appear under a section called "Items."

Here's the manual for "Nights in Dreams." (PDF) Notice star chips, rings, and power loop on page 8.
Here's the manual for "Aero the Acrobat." Notice food items on page 12.

service temporary unavailable for all links, how lucky

- nevermind, got it -

nice website
Yeah, I was wondering if it was my connection that was messing up, but good to know it's the site. (Well, not really. biggrin.png ) It was harder to find manuals than I thought. That was the best site I could find.
I always have difficulties with things like this, words

perhaps?
earners
Collectibles?
I wouldn't call them 'items' (since they aren't explicitly used). Nor would they be 'powerups' (since they don't give you lives if score-only, and even if they did give you a life, even 1-ups I wouldn't call powerups because they don't up your power).

The problem with 'collectibles' is that the name implies (but doesn't have to) variety of *different* objects you collect.
I can't find much on a casual glance at TV Tropes: Law of 100 (collectibles that give lives), Follow the Money (exactly what we are discussing, but no name is given), Gotta Catch Them All (different/varied collectibles).

I vote for just calling them "pick ups".
pickups or tokens

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement