Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wave

BlitzBasic 3D anyone?

Wave    138
I''m new to gameprogramming and I wounder if anyone here have heard about BlitzBasic? I thought I would start out with a language that is fast enought to make good games within. There is also Blitz3D (New!) and I wounder if anyone knows how good blitz really is? Because I''m not sure if it puts up to C++ in speed and flexibility, still blitz is fast and was made for gameprogramming. So is there anyone who knows anything about blitz3d if it is good or bad. If it is powerful enought or if going for C++ is the only sensible choise for a future game programmer? Check it out www.blitzbasic.com

freakchild    572
Contrary to the previous posters comment, I''d fully recommend any newbie to start with something like Blitz.

Blitz Basic 3D is the new 3D version of Blitz Basic, a program that has been around for many years on the Commodore Amiga and recently put onto PC.

I''d recommend it because you can get more quickly into games programming without having to deal with the more complicated language issues of C++ and Object Oriented Programming as well as completely sidestepping considerations towards programming with any specific operating system or API.

The Blitz Basic language is based on BASIC itself, but is a little more powerful with some C like extensions to it which greatly overcomes some of the weaknesses of the original BASIC. You would find that if you can master the language implementation in Blitz Basic then you''d be ready to move over to C and take that next step.

That''s the whole point though...if you don''t want to take that next step you don''t have to. If you want to make hobbyist games then why leave the confines of Blitz Basic (note - it''s good enough to do simpler commercial titles as well), especially now it has 3D capability? If you write your own functions based in C++ and DirectX you more or less have to write everything. Blitz Basic 3D has many features built in to the language and you can concentrate on making games, rather than building some of the modules required to make games. Even to someone considering games programming as a serious career, who would have to go down the more complicated road at some point, it can''t be denied that something like Blitz is probably a good start to get a feel for games programming and to learn some important techniques.

If you have any doubts about Blitz...download the demos from their website and see what sort of things people have been programming. Many of the 2D games before the recent 3D upgrade are of outstanding calibre, some looking equally as good as games professionally developed for the last generation of 2D games consoles. You''ll also be impressed with the 3D efforts, although the 3D upgrade is only in beta still so not everyone has got to grips with it just yet.

I don''t think you''d be disappointed if you bought it. You could start on the 2D side and have much fun learning BASIC and programming a few simple games, before moving on to some 3D stuff.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
There''s a better program than BB available at www.clickteam.com.

It''s Java based too. None of this annoying... yuk... Basic.

Tokikenshi    122
As Ronin_54 said, go and start learning a more ''seriuos'' language than BB. Pascal (aka Delphi/Pascal++) is a good choice for beginners. Don''t waste valuable time in getting into engines like this! But it''s of course your choice... ^_^

//toki

redwyre    122
if you are new to programming, BlitzBasic will get you started really fast. if you just wanna make games for the fun of it, use BlitzBasic.

but if you want to want to become a real hardcore coder you will need to know C++. C++ is difficult to start with though.

i recomend you learn BlitzBasic, and when you are confident in your programming skills, move on to C++

(i have played around with BlitzBasic for PC a while ago, its not a waste of time to learn and it is quite fast for basic)

redwyre /vivid
keep it real

Tokikenshi    122
Maybe I expressed it pretty stupid, but hey, it''s all your choice. We can''t tell you what you should learn, and yes, learning BB could be pretty useful for getting a taste of game programming.