Allegro 5 vs Cocos2d-X

Started by
3 comments, last by bubbaray97 11 years, 3 months ago
Hi everyone, I'd like to know the overall opinions of people with experience on both Allegro 5 and Cocos2dx. I'm interested in the contrasting aspects of both API's. This includes maybe header details, performance, whatever you preferred or disdained within each API's. People with experience on just one individual API are also welcome. Thank you.
Advertisement
Allegro is one of my favorite API's. I prefer Allegro 4.2, I have tried 5, but with unfavorable results. I tried Cocos2dx, but It didn't install properly.

In conclusion: I suggest Allegro 4.2 or SDL or SFML. But that is my personal opinion, try both and see which one you prefer. Also think about what kind of game you would like to make, and what platform you would like to make it on. If you are using Mac, If you want you will be able to make games on the app store.

In theory I should like Cocos2dx over Allegro 5, it's higher level and supports the mobile platforms - iOS and Android - better (Allegro is getting there, but isn't quite there yet).

Unfortunately, as above, I've not been able to get anything, however simple, to build yet. Allegro 5 on the other hand was really rather simple to get setup and I was able to build a simple test "game" in just a few hours. I've only been messing about with it for a few days, but I like the feel of it. It's pretty straight forward, easy to use and fairly well documented.

My Games -- My Music 

Come join us for some friendly game dev discussions over in XNA Chat!

Why are you comparing an engine to an API? Allegro is not an engine: "Allegro is not a game engine: you are free to design and structure your program as you like."

If you posted this to see which one you should use, my advice is to try them both, see which one you like. If you prefer having more control, stick to allegro, or even SDL.

anax - An open source C++ entity system

Why are you comparing an engine to an API? Allegro is not an engine: "Allegro is not a game engine: you are free to design and structure your program as you like."

If you posted this to see which one you should use, my advice is to try them both, see which one you like. If you prefer having more control, stick to allegro, or even SDL.

I agree with pinebanana's basic advice to try both out. However I didn't do that...I went with Allegro from the start because I knew I wanted that "more control" for the project I'm on right now and true multi-platform wasn't as critical for me (as Jutaris stated Allegro has it, but a bit shaky from what I can tell [haven't tried] on the mobile side). I find that Allegro 5 is very easy to use and works well for all my purposes.

But again...depends on what you want...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement