• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fractal

char[???]...

This topic is 6094 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

"int"s I can understand, but what''s with the "char[particular number]"? Without the "[number]", "char" just doesn''t seem to work. Could anyone explain why, and how I could figure out the correct numbers to go inside the "[]" for a particular "char"?

Advertisement
the numbers between [] in a "char" means the quantity of chars you want to have. With [] you define a vector of char, that you usually can use to work with char strings

Example:
I want to put my name in a vector of char, then i define:

char name[ 6 ] = "Marcos";

or i can say:

char site[ 7 ] = "Gamedev";

when you define a string the way i did above, the C++ compiler automatically puts a null character in the last position of the array to indicate the end of the string.

also, you could define an string in the following way:

char name[] = "Marcos";

if you don`t put any number inside the [] then the C++ compiler calculates automatically the number of positions needed in the array "name" to contain the string "Marcos" and puts in the final position a null character to indicate the end of the string

Bye
Good Luck
Marcos

A "char" is just a basic integer type, consisting of only 1 byte and having a range from -127 to 128 for the signed type, and 0 to 256 for the unsigned type. A char[] is an array of these basic integer types. You can declare either:

char somevariable = 45;
char other = ''a'';
char yadayada[8] = {''y'', ''a'', ''d'', ''a'', ''y'', ''a'', ''d'', ''a''};

Recall that basic ASCII characters are converted to their respective ASCII codes in the source code, so a ''a'' is actually 65.

Now, a string is a special case of char array that is terminated with a 0. Strings aren''t just chars. Strings are arrays, and a char is an integer.

char somecharacter = ''a'';
char somestring[5] = {''s'', ''o'', ''m'', ''e'', ''/0''};

A string must always have the number of characters + 1 for the null terminating character as the size of the array. You can let the compiler count the number of character for you by doing this:

char * filenamestring = "foo.dat";

Then, filenamestring will point to the address where the first member of the string is stored, I.E. the address of ''f'' in this case.

I hope that answered your question

Paradigm Shift 2000

quote:
Original post by marcos
the numbers between [] in a "char" means the quantity of chars you want to have. With [] you define a vector of char, that you usually can use to work with char strings

Example:
I want to put my name in a vector of char, then i define:

char name[ 6 ] = "Marcos";

or i can say:

char site[ 7 ] = "Gamedev";

Just a clarification... these are wrong. To store the string "Marcos", you need an array of seven chars; six to store the letters, and a seventh to store a null. Likewise, to store "Gamedev", you will need an array of eight characters.

It sounds like you aren''t quite clear on the concept of arrays, which C-style strings are based around. You should read up on those before attempting to do much stuff with strings.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!