Making a 3d Game Engine.

Started by
1 comment, last by maxdelphi 11 years, 4 months ago
Hello, i am c++ programmer and i know how a 3d games work, now i would like make my own 3d game engine, i have much ideas and it will be open source, i know it is hard, but not impossible...
Now, my question is :

1.- Basically, How work a game engine?, i know that exist two executable, Editor.exe and Game.exe, Editor is for make configuration files, options, setup a project (Physic, Sound, Scene, Logic.....) and Game.exe interprets there files for do the game's scene and execute the scripts....., but What more?.

2.- i think than i will do it with DLL, How to Work?, i know that the Game.exe call the main dll function Update().

¿¿¿¿What more i should know?????

thanks..

PD: i Will do based in Ogre 3D
Advertisement
Sorry, you've confused me. You say you want to create a "3d game engine" in Ogre, which (when combined with a couple of plugins) is already itself a 3d game engine. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

Are you looking to create your own actual 3d game engine, or are you looking to create your own game base to write your own games on using an existing 3d game engine?

If the former, then I would say don't bother. The number of free and commercial existing 3d game engines more than cover the industries needs. Unless you have some pretty specific engine needs, which is unlikely (even the pros use existing engines rather than making their own), then there is no need to create one. If however you are adamant to create your own 3d game engine, download some open source existing engines and delve into the code to learn how they do it (and how you could possibly improve on their methods).

If the later, then the first thing you'll need to do is assess which game engine is suited to you. A lot of people use Unity3D which is a really good free engine (they also have a pro version for a cost). The community is massive, there is heaps of tutorials and help, and there's lots of plugins and code examples already written. But ultimately the choice of engine is up to you.
i am very inspirated, i want make a game engine and call peoples for help me, i want make it for give free "decent" solution like Blender case...

i know that it is hard, but no impossible :P....

i know that for the graphics i need work with shaders....

thanks..

PD: i will go to download a free game engine :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement