Sign in to follow this  
cephalo

DX11 DX9 Shaders vs. DX11 Shaders question

cephalo    739
I am in the middle of converting a SlimDX project from dx9 to dx11. Wow, so different! Anyway I have a question. In dx9, an effect consisted of an fx file with a vertex shader and a pixel shader. With dx11, there are a few more shader types naturally, but every example I find of dx11 code compiles the shaders individually. First you compile the vertex shader, then the hull shader, then the domain shader etc. and then you set them individually in the device context. Is that the way it is supposed to be done now? I don't actually mess with anything called an 'Effect'? Should I not put the different shaders in the same fx file? I haven't been able to gain any sense of a best practice when writing and managing dx11 shaders other than keeping everything separated, which would seem to complicate things, especially with so many pipeline stages that need shaders.

What is the difference, if any, between tutorials and 'real world' shader authoring? Edited by cephalo

Radikalizm    4807
The effects framework has been deprecated recently with the release of the latest Windows SDK. There used to be a separate Effects11 library in the previous DXSDK release which you could compile yourself if you wanted to use the effects library in DirectX 11, but obviously it isn't available anymore.

This does mean that you'll have to do shader management all by yourself, and I feel this is a much better solution than the old effects library as it 'forces' you to think more about how to handle your shaders and how to organize your state switches.
You could perfectly implement something like the effects framework by yourself though, there are a couple of threads floating around created by people who're doing exactly that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By gomidas
      I am trying to add normal map to my project I have an example of a cube: 
      I have normal in my shader I think. Then I set shader resource view for texture (NOT BUMP)
                  device.ImmediateContext.PixelShader.SetShaderResource(0, textureView);             device.ImmediateContext.Draw(VerticesCount,0); What should I do to set my normal map or how it is done in dx11 generally example c++?
    • By fighting_falcon93
      Imagine that we have a vertex structure that looks like this:
      struct Vertex { XMFLOAT3 position; XMFLOAT4 color; }; The vertex shader looks like this:
      cbuffer MatrixBuffer { matrix world; matrix view; matrix projection; }; struct VertexInput { float4 position : POSITION; float4 color : COLOR; }; struct PixelInput { float4 position : SV_POSITION; float4 color : COLOR; }; PixelInput main(VertexInput input) { PixelInput output; input.position.w = 1.0f; output.position = mul(input.position, world); output.position = mul(output.position, view); output.position = mul(output.position, projection); output.color = input.color; return output; } And the pixel shader looks like this:
      struct PixelInput { float4 position : SV_POSITION; float4 color : COLOR; }; float4 main(PixelInput input) : SV_TARGET { return input.color; } Now let's create a quad consisting of 2 triangles and the vertices A, B, C and D:
      // Vertex A. vertices[0].position = XMFLOAT3(-1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); vertices[0].color = XMFLOAT4( 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f, 1.0f); // Vertex B. vertices[1].position = XMFLOAT3( 1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); vertices[1].color = XMFLOAT4( 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f, 1.0f); // Vertex C. vertices[2].position = XMFLOAT3(-1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); vertices[2].color = XMFLOAT4( 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f, 1.0f); // Vertex D. vertices[3].position = XMFLOAT3( 1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); vertices[3].color = XMFLOAT4( 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f, 1.0f); // 1st triangle. indices[0] = 0; // Vertex A. indices[1] = 3; // Vertex D. indices[2] = 2; // Vertex C. // 2nd triangle. indices[3] = 0; // Vertex A. indices[4] = 1; // Vertex B. indices[5] = 3; // Vertex D. This will result in a grey quad as shown in the image below. I've outlined the edges in red color to better illustrate the triangles:

Now imagine that we’d want our quad to have a different color in vertex A:
      // Vertex A. vertices[0].position = XMFLOAT3(-1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); vertices[0].color = XMFLOAT4( 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);
      That works as expected since there’s now an interpolation between the black color in vertex A and the grey color in vertices B, C and D. Let’s revert the previus changes and instead change the color of vertex C:
      // Vertex C. vertices[2].position = XMFLOAT3(-1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); vertices[2].color = XMFLOAT4( 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);
      As you can see, the interpolation is only done half of the way across the first triangle and not across the entire quad. This is because there's no edge between vertex C and vertex B.
      Which brings us to my question:
      I want the interpolation to go across the entire quad and not only across the triangle. So regardless of which vertex we decide to change the color of, the color interpolation should always go across the entire quad. Is there any efficient way of achieving this without adding more vertices and triangles?
      An illustration of what I'm trying to achieve is shown in the image below:

Background
      This is just a very brief explanation of the problems background in case that would make it easier for you to understand the problems roots and maybe help you with finding a better solution to the problem.
      I'm trying to texture a terrain mesh in DirectX11. It's working, but I'm a bit unsatisfied with the result. When changing the terrain texture of a single vertex, the interpolation with the other vertices results in a hexagon shape instead of a squared shape:

As the red arrows illustrate, I'd like the texture to be interpolated all the way into the corners of the quads.
    • By -Tau-
      Hello, I'm close to releasing my first game to Steam however, my game keeps failing the review process because it keeps crashing. The problem is that the game doesn't crash on my computer, on my laptop, on our family computer, on fathers laptop and i also gave 3 beta keys to people i know and they said the game hasn't crashed.
      Steam reports that the game doesn't crash on startup but few frames after a level has been started.
      What could cause something like this? I have no way of debugging this as the game works fine on every computer i have.

Game is written in C++, using DirectX 11 and DXUT framework.
    • By haiiry
      I'm trying to get, basically, screenshot (each 1 second, without saving) of Direct3D11 application. Code works fine on my PC(Intel CPU, Radeon GPU) but crashes after few iterations on 2 others (Intel CPU + Intel integrated GPU, Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU).
      void extractBitmap(void* texture) { if (texture) { ID3D11Texture2D* d3dtex = (ID3D11Texture2D*)texture; ID3D11Texture2D* pNewTexture = NULL; D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC desc; d3dtex->GetDesc(&desc); desc.BindFlags = 0; desc.CPUAccessFlags = D3D11_CPU_ACCESS_READ | D3D11_CPU_ACCESS_WRITE; desc.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_STAGING; desc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM_SRGB; HRESULT hRes = D3D11Device->CreateTexture2D(&desc, NULL, &pNewTexture); if (FAILED(hRes)) { printCon(std::string("CreateTexture2D FAILED:" + format_error(hRes)).c_str()); if (hRes == DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) printCon(std::string("DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED -- " + format_error(D3D11Device->GetDeviceRemovedReason())).c_str()); } else { if (pNewTexture) { D3D11DeviceContext->CopyResource(pNewTexture, d3dtex); // Wokring with texture pNewTexture->Release(); } } } return; } D3D11SwapChain->GetBuffer(0, __uuidof(ID3D11Texture2D), reinterpret_cast< void** >(&pBackBuffer)); extractBitmap(pBackBuffer); pBackBuffer->Release(); Crash log:
      CreateTexture2D FAILED:887a0005 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED -- 887a0020 Once I comment out 
      D3D11DeviceContext->CopyResource(pNewTexture, d3dtex); 
      code works fine on all 3 PC's.
    • By Fluffy10
      Hi i'm new to this forum and was wondering if there are any good places to start learning directX 11. I bought Frank D Luna's book but it's really outdated and the projects won't even compile. I was excited to start learning from this book because it gives detailed explanations on the functions being used as well as the mathematics. Are there any tutorials / courses /books that are up to date which goes over the 3D math and functions in a detailed manner? Or where does anyone here learn directX 11? I've followed some tutorials from this website http://www.directxtutorial.com/LessonList.aspx?listid=11 which did a nice job but it doesn't explain what's happening with the math so I feel like I'm not actually learning, and it only goes up until color blending. Rasteriks tutorials doesn't go over the functions much at all or the math involved either. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction, I feel really lost. Thank you
  • Popular Now