Displaying Character Names

Started by
13 comments, last by riuthamus 11 years, 4 months ago
What would be the best method for displaying character names? We want a system that looks clean and can accommodate customization. For example a player sets their name to Rudolf, but they earn the title Master, we could modify the display to be Master Rudolf. Key here is to make something simple but clean... I hate how in some mmos and in other mp based games the UI element for other players is rather choppy.... i guess it doesnt need to be good but i would see what other people are doing to make it happen first i guess.

Examples:
gallery_1_8_462576.png
gallery_1_8_1134.jpg

Also, if you know a game that has a good setup, link it or let me know so I can see it. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
In AAA games this is handled through their localization libraries.

You don't know what the required format is for every language. Some languages require prefix, postfix, or both.

Using a C# style syntax, I like this format:

LocalizeString( actor.IsFemale, "StringKey", actor, foo, bar, ...);

Or a more concrete version:

LocalizeString( actor.IsFemale, "Rank70withGuild", actor, actor.GuildName);

which gets localized to:

M: "Overlord {0:ActorName} of {1}"
F: "Empress {0:ActorName} of {1}"
or
M: "Suzerain {0:ActorName} d'{1}"

or whatever matches for that particular language.
I've played Spiral Knights, but what's that game in the second pic?
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Dota2, just showing some UI elements that follow the player like a name.
I think it really depends on what kind of game it is. Top down? First person?
First and third person. Depends on what mode the player chooses and what they are doing.
Why not just use tiny floating versions of their names, and then keep the titles and anything else for the chat windows. Or you could use a circle under the player with a color for health (or whatever), and have their name in there too.

This coming from someone who hates having floating names all over the screen. :)
i hate the floating names as well, but with heros who look alike...( say the same armor ) there is no way to tell your friend from foe ( other than indicators which we will make later ). They would be disabled as well... if you chose to do so in the interface options. This is what i am going for

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/41065/Java%202012-11-20%2000-04-00-58-1.mp4
Color coding the names or adding a small icon would not be sufficient? Have you ever played League of Legends? I find it easier to keep track of tight cluster-f battles if I look at the tags and the mouse auras instead of the champs.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Yeah, the league of legends name/hp/mana overlay is really good. You should take a look at it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement