String is ambiguous

Started by
8 comments, last by C0lumbo 11 years, 5 months ago
I am prototyping something for a big project, but i got a funny error saying that string is ambiguous I have never seen this before, and i have been writing my code this way for forever.

[source lang="cpp"]#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>

using namespace std;

class Creature{

public:
Creature(int strength, int health, int armor, string name); --string error
void getHealth();
int modifyHealth(int modifier, int type); //type = 1(add), or 2(remove)
int attack();
int block();

private:
int m_Strength;
int m_Health;
int m_Damage;
int m_Armor;
string m_Name; --string error
int num;

};
[/source]
Advertisement
I think you should take away the
using namespace std;

and use
std::string

instead of
string

But I found that on google's first result. Perhaps you didn't <search engine of choice> hard enough?
i always come here first. I diid try that and it didnt work
That doesn't work? Then how about removing
#include <string>

Because usually iostream also includes string.

That doesn't work? Then how about removing
#include <string>

Because usually iostream also includes string.

Don't do that. You should explicitly include the headers you need. But you're absolutely right about [font=courier new,courier,monospace]using namespace std;[/font]. A global [font=courier new,courier,monospace]using namespace ...;[/font] should never go in a header.

@OP: You should always Google first. It's a fantastic skill to learn. What are your other headers/sources doing? Is anything defining [font=courier new,courier,monospace]string [/font]before your header? Anything in stdafx.h? Typically it's caused by something like this example.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
It looks like you're using MSVC from the stdafx.h in your headers. If that's the case, then you might want to look at the full build output rather than the summary in the task pane. It will probably tell you the exact source of the ambiguous symbols.

Don't do that. You should explicitly include the headers you need

True, I just thought that might be a last resort that magically fixes OP's problem. It's improbable, but I thought maybe his string header doesn't have include guards.

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1353383054' post='5002564']
Don't do that. You should explicitly include the headers you need

True, I just thought that might be a last resort that magically fixes OP's problem. It's improbable, but I thought maybe his string header doesn't have include guards.
[/quote]
I would expect the OP to have bigger problems if his standard headers don't have include guards though :)

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Please post the exact error text.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
The problem is that string is defined as std::string, and it must be being defined somewhere else too, but there's not enough information posted to work out where. If you get rid of the 'using namespace std;' line and add the necessary std:: bits, then the error will go away.

It's often considered unwise to use the 'using' keyword in a header file. I'd advise you to get rid of that habit, and keep any 'using' stuff to your .cpp files.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement