Sign in to follow this  
phil67rpg

open gl game

phil67rpg    443
I know but according to beernutts I should stop win32 and dx 9 is really difficult. I was hoping that opengl would be a little easier. There are plenty of tutorials on the web. I am working with videotutorials rock and it is pretty good and I am reading the red book.

Khatharr    8812
OpenGL gives less abstraction, so I don't know if I'd call it 'easier' than DirectX. DirectX kind of holds your hand in that icky way that M$ likes to do (I know M$ is involved in OGL as well).

You need to learn core principles, not APIs and trivia. You can't do that if you keep jumping around.

deftware    1778
I re-wrote 3 replies already, and suddenly the sense came over me that anything I could possibly type into this box would not help resolve the issue at hand in any way.. Futility hurts! Click that down arrow you see under my photo if you disagree. Otherwise, click the back button in your browser.

solipcoder    300
As others said, Pong is an excellent first game to make. You can make it with just boxes, and go from there.

I would say DirectX is easier. OpenGL's fixed function pipeline might be easier than DirectX but that is deprecated. Anyway, just choose one and stick to it.

doyleman77    367
[quote name='phil67rpg' timestamp='1353444930' post='5002755']
I am also thinking about quitting but I am going to try one more time. I am also going to try and solve things on my own. By the way this stuff is far from easy.
[/quote]

A prize easily obtained is a prize not worth having. - some proverb, but it applies here.